extra certs for new emt-b

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
I am interested in becoming more employable as an emt-b and i want to stand out. so i was thinking of extra certs and i am having trouble finding access in my particular area without just going to paramedic school.

nationalhearted.com has some instructor-led AHA PALS and ACLS courses, as well as online EKG Interp. classes. am i qualified for PALS and ACLS as an emt-b? are all AHA classes going to be similar?

thanks all, any advice?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'd say to skip alphabet soup classes and make sure you have a good foundation in A&P and take the medic pre req classes.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
No, they will make little difference.

College level real A&P, patho, pharmo, English, scientific research methods and chemistry will help you 100000x more.

8jimi8

CFRN
why the desire to be a super basic, instead of a super paramedic?

zmedic

Forum Captain
You aren't eligible to be certified in PALS or ACLS. But ACLS is a good class once you've been an EMT for awhile. Look into auditing the class, where you take it but don't get a card. You can still use it for CEs and often they will charge you a fraction of the course cost.

If you are going to be working on an ALS rig with a medic a basic ECG class is good to take, you'll get the basics so your partner can teach you what the heck they are looking at.

8jimi8

CFRN
or you could just crack a book and read about it. Save some money too.

OP
OP
Ewok Jerky

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
i don't want to be a super emt, I just want to get a job. I recently applied to a position with 159 other people for 20 spots and I'm just trying to my application stand out. I have no experience and I can't get into any medic programs here without emt expeience.

medic417

The Truth Provider
You aren't eligible to be certified in PALS or ACLS. .

Since when? Is this a state thing? Or are you spouting another of the many falsehoods and myths that so many claim are facts?

8jimi8

CFRN
Volunteer, people are much more likely to hire you if they know you and your work ethic