ETCO2 and gasoline

flhtci01

Forum Captain
We were doing a table top scenario about a lethargic child with suspected gasoline ingestion. A question was raised about the reliability of the ETCO2 with the increased hydrocarbon being exhaled. Would the reading be reliable? Also, could the sensitivity of the monitor be affected in future use?

Pavehawk

Forum Lieutenant
Im sure one of the Docs can add much more to this but my initial thought is that ETCO2 is used in the OR where many of the gas agents used are halagenated hydrocarbons. This would lead me to speculate that hydrocarbons would not cause a major issue with capnograph readings.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
leaded, unleaded or diesel?

EMT John

Forum Crew Member
If the child ingested gasoline and if the ET was placed correctly then it shouldnt effect the ETCO2.

now if the child inhailed gasoline im not sure...

Anjel

Forum Angel
What if the child wasn't intubated and you were getting the etco2 reading.

EMT John

Forum Crew Member
I didnt think of that... Here are a few things i found. Ill have to research this a little more, im curious now.

The following factors can influence the ETCO2 measurement:
nitrous oxide
elevated oxygen levels
barometric pressure
water vapor or patient secretions
aerosolized pharmaceuticals
nitric oxide

Contraindications: The capnographer should never be used in the presence of flammable anesthetics because it may present an explosion hazard.

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
Hydrocarbons such as gasoline don't contain any oxygen molecules. I'm not sure how the body metabolizes hydrocarbons (if at all). Combustion of hydrocarbons will produce CO2, so at the very least, don't light the lil one on fire.

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
Oh, look up the UV absorption wave length of CO2 and see how close the hydrocarbons in gas are.