Epinephrine

Pierogi

Forum Probie
About 5 years ago i had a bad experience with a sting. I stepped on something bare foot. more than likely a mud wasp. i thought nothing of it but with in about 30 sec my cigarrete started to taste really funny. almost like a metalic taste. i tossed the cig and walked up 5 stairs to go inside. when i got in i nearly fainted so i layed down on the couch. i started blacking out, coming in and out of consciousness as i tried with all my ability to stay conscious (friends said i was shaking too). after about 5 min of that i was conscious but had not regained my vision for at least about a minute. then out of no where i had the runs. the whole experience just felt like my body was completely breaking down. not a great feeling.
anyway, the paramedics picked me up dropped me off at the hospital and slowly i was coming to. but their "diagnosis" was that it was from drinking the night before. I found that very questionable. i think thats a little drastic for a hangover. plus i woke up feeling great and didn't get stung till an hour after.

I hav'nt been stung since then and am very curious to see how i would react to a sting now. I'm also considering the army and they don't let you take any perscriptions to bt. I'm thinking if i intentionally sting myself, with an epipen or two handy i would find out if i really am allergic. I know it doesn't sound like the best idea in the world, but it's safe with an epipen. right?

.3 mg epipen by the way

Last edited by a moderator:

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Epi in a person who does not need it can kill.

Epi in a person who does need it can kill.

You may never get stung again for the rest of your life. I haven't been stung in about forty years. Is this really a wise risk to take just out of curiosity? Do you know what curiosity did to the cat?

OP
OP
P

Pierogi

Forum Probie
Epi in a person who does not need it can kill.

Epi in a person who does need it can kill.

You may never get stung again for the rest of your life. I haven't been stung in about forty years. Is this really a wise risk to take just out of curiosity? Do you know what curiosity did to the cat?

It rewarded him with a sense of knowledge. or killed him.
didn't know that epipen can kill. thought it was just adrenaline.
Any tests a doctor can run on this?

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
didn't know that epipen can kill. thought it was just adrenaline.
I do hope that was a joke. :eek:

Any tests a doctor can run on this?
Yes. An allergist can test for sensitivity if it's that important for you to know. While you're at it, you can get him to prescribe to you every drug that you might ever end up taking in your life to see if you might possibly be allergic to any of those too. After all, that's more likely than stepping on another mud wasp. But seriously, is it really worth it?

Sasha

Forum Chief
I hav'nt been stung since then and am very curious to see how i would react to a sting now. I'm also considering the army and they don't let you take any perscriptions to bt. I'm thinking if i intentionally sting myself, with an epipen or two handy i would find out if i really am allergic. I know it doesn't sound like the best idea in the world, but it's safe with an epipen. right?

I'm sorry, but that sounds like the worst idea I've ever heard.

If you really want to find out if you're allergic, see an allergist. Epi is a dangerous drug and you have little understanding of epi pens to being with. Epi pens are not for run of the mill allergic reactions, they're for anaphylaxis, which is an overly exaggerated, life threatening response to an allergen. People DIE from it. It's not something to try to induce just for fun.

And how do you plan on obtaining the epi pen?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Epinephrine and adrenaline are the same. As AJ described it can kill when not appropriately used.

Yes, you can have an allergen test performed. Also it is doubtful you had a true anaphylaxis reaction which the epipen is used for. The reason being if untreated, you would not be posting today. Probable, you did have a reaction to the bee sting, but may have not gone into the shock or more serious state. Usually treated with H2 blockers such as Benadryl or Zantac, etc and possibly steroids.

Don't be stupid and purposefully test on your self. Remember the body may respond differently each time and the next time, may be your last time. Epipens are not totally fool proof. Severe anaphylaxis cases, die. Sometimes epipens are not effective.

Anaphylaxis is where there is so much histamine response, swelling of the neck, tongue, face and other parts of the body. The body also goes into a shock state. (very simplified).

Go to the Doc and get tested. If need, they will write a prescription or tell you to carry Benadryl (dissolving strips).

R/r 911

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
As for being stung in BT--- trust me on this, they have people there that can handle anything their way. Don't forget that the US military is at the forfront of the medical field.

This whole thing reminds me of a joke my EMT teacher told us in class one day.... but I'll hold off for fear of some people who can't take a joke.

OP
OP
P

Pierogi

Forum Probie
Pierogi said:

.3 mg epipen by the way

OK OK. cool your jets guys. that was just an exageration. all i'm tryin to find out is with the symptoms i've listed. do you think an epipen is neccesay. or can you experience something so severe after a night of drinking. I was perscribed the epipens, but through a crooked doc that would perscribe anything

sir.shocksalot

Forum Captain
OK OK. cool your jets guys. that was just an exageration. all i'm tryin to find out is with the symptoms i've listed. do you think an epipen is neccesay. or can you experience something so severe after a night of drinking. I was perscribed the epipens, but through a crooked doc that would perscribe anything
Like everyone else said, see a doctor. Although I wouldn't pay the crooked doc a visit.:p

Epi-do

I see dead people
I can guarentee if you had ever experienced true anaphylaxis you would not be so keen to intentionally expose yourself to something that would cause such a reaction. (whether you are making that statement as a joke or not) It is one of the scariest things you could ever go through and is truly a life threatening emergency.

When I had my reaction, I remember feeling like I couldn't breath, being whisked to the back of the ER, hearing something about Epi, and then pretty much nothing. I have been told I was out for about 3 hours before waking back up, and was incredibly close to getting tubed. Not a plesant experience by any stretch of the imagination.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Not only can adrenalin kill, but it also does not always work to stop the reaction. Especially when given SQ in Epi-Pen doses. It is not a guaranteed cure. If it were, the anaphylaxis protocols would be a LOT shorter.

SES4

Forum Lieutenant
You know when it is Anaphalaxysis

I tend to agree with those who state, either directly or otherwise that one knows when one is experiencing anaphalaxysis.

As somebody who has unfortunately experienced Anaphalaxysis it honestly was the scariest feeling. Things that you take for granted generally because they are supposed to "just happen" i.e "the biggie"breathing completely malfunction in a very, very short period of time and suddenly you lose all control of your body and the situation. I did not care who it was that was helping me as long as they were doing something.

Honestly if you are concerned about your situation:

SEE AN ALLERGIST. She/he will review your history, do appropriate testing, and then sit down with you and be able to give you a somewhat definitive answer and an action plan if something concerning is found.

Also, if you are truly allergic, wear a MedicAlert Bracelet or some sort of MedicAlert jewelry (they offer many options) so that in the unfortunate event something should happen and you can not give pertinent information about your medical history (think SAMPLE) the bracelet will be invaluable to the EMS professionals and doctors who are hopefully going to help you!

OP
OP
P

Pierogi

Forum Probie
thanks. im working on that allerrgist appointment. really good idea on the bracelet. you would think the doc who perscribed me the epipen would have told me about that.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Your reaction was very possibly an allergic one. When the body is triggered by an allergen it tries to get rid of it. Anaphylactic reactions are one of the reactions your body can have. The airway closing is your body's way of preventing any more of the allergen from being inhaled. (Even if it wasn't inhaled in the first place, you body isn't all that smart sometimes).

Another severe reaction is the projectile vomiting/diarrhea reaction, which happens when your body thinks it has digested the allergen so it expels everything it can.

I've heard epi can help the second type of reaction, but I've never seen or heard of it being used in real life.