Enova Med Transport in LA

emtguy56

Forum Probie
Thinking of applying to Enova. Heard from a few friends that if you apply you'll probably be hired. I've seen some older posts on here shedding negative light on Enova and I'm aware that they are not county certified and can be sketchy. Im a newbie though and my choices are limited. Has anyone on here actually worked for Enova recently or know someone who has that can let me know the pro's and con's of working for them? Thanks in advance.

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
Thinking of applying to Enova. Heard from a few friends that if you apply you'll probably be hired. I've seen some older posts on here shedding negative light on Enova and I'm aware that they are not county certified and can be sketchy. Im a newbie though and my choices are limited. Has anyone on here actually worked for Enova recently or know someone who has that can let me know the pro's and con's of working for them? Thanks in advance.

They pay 10.00/hr last I heard, running 99% to and from dialysis appointments. You can do better. As a first job I get the allure of just being on a shiny white van with "ambulance" written on the side, but it will not be valuable experience and your skills will deteriorate. You'll work with EMTs who have given up and are doing this because it's what they did yesterday, and eventually get a bitter taste in your mouth for what you've learned to believe "EMS" is. But this isn't what you went to school for. Try for larger IFT companies, county accredited is great but there's still some bad apples. Apply to AMR, they take EMTs with no experience every day. And look outside of LA. If EMS is what you want to do, don't be afraid to commute, to relocate, and to get out of your comfort zone. There's better options out there.
Kern county is always hiring new EMTs, and you run all 911 with a BLS fire dept. San Bernardino co. has some great AMR divisions and you'll be doing what you went to EMT school for. Ventura and Santa Barbara, Riverside, I can keep going. But if you stay in LA county because the drive is easier and it's the area you know, the area you're comfortable with, you will severely limit your career opportunities and stunt your growth in this field.
That said, my first job was for a similar company and it worked out eventually. But if I had to do it all over again, Id have set the bar higher and got out of LA sooner.
EMT school, brief as it may have been, did prepare you to do this job, and the rest is up to your FTO. Transporting stable, non ambulatory patients to and from dialysis will not make you any better prepared to run 911, to go to paramedic school, to work for a fire dept, to go to PA school, or whatever it is you want after EMT.
PM me if you're actually interested in the world outside of Los Angeles.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
E

emtguy56

Forum Probie
Hey there. Thanks for the awesome reply. I couldn't have asked for a better one. I can't PM yet because I don't have enough postings so I'll just put it here. I live like right on the LA/OC border and I am more than willing to commute to Kern, San Bern or Riverside I guess I just don't know where to start looking. I would LOVE to have a 911 job but everyone in the field keeps telling me that you won't get a job there as a newbie. I've applied to the local 911 jobs but no replies, which is no surprise. I don't want to settle for a job and I'm worried, like you said, about losing my skills and knowledge while working for a sketchy IFT company like Enova. The only issue is with my schedule, I'm unavailable Monday's and Wednesday's due to school. But if you have any ideas on where specifically I could look for better jobs in those counties let me know. Again, thanks for the reply.

OP
OP
E

emtguy56

Forum Probie
Thanks, I got it. But I still can't PM you back. Checked out the thread and I will send the e-mail off tonight to get the application. Do you know how their pre-employment testing works? Like written tests, skills test etc?

OP
OP
E

emtguy56

Forum Probie
Also, I only have my LA County cert as of now. I noticed a few places, like Hall in Kern County require a county cert before applying. For most companies, can I wait to get this cert until I'm hired? I don't want to pay to get one first and then not end up working in that county.

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
You only need a CA state card for Kern County, the county accred is only for medics.
There's a written test much like the NR, basic skills, panel interview, and 4+ weeks of FTO time.

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
I'll never forget when I saw an enova crew with both EMT's shirts untucked, bald heads, and one had tattoos covering his neck.... Very professional company I'd say.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'll never forget when I saw an enova crew with both EMT's shirts untucked, bald heads, and one had tattoos covering his neck.... Very professional company I'd say.
I'm curious why the bald head thing matters? The shirts untucked thing is the only thing that strikes me as unprofessional

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
Not referring to just bald heads. I'm usually bald myself. But, the combination of all 3 was like looking at a couple of gang bangers. It's probably just me or maybe you have to see in person to picture it. And for the most part companies require you to cover your tats while on duty.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Not referring to just bald heads.. seeing I'm usually bald myself. But the combination of all 3 was like looking at a couple of gang bangers. It's probably just me or maybe you have to see in person to picture it. And for the most part companies require you to cover your tats while on duty.
Ah the cholo type. Got it. I keep forgettingsome places require tattoos yo be covered. I haven't had to since I separated from the evil empire

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
The main issue with Enova is they were denied their state license. It's currently being appealed and while they likely to win appeal and get it, there is still risk they will not.

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
Kern: Hall, Liberty, Delano (meh)
San Bernardino: AMR, Desert, Morongo Basin, Baker EMS
Riverside: AMR
Ventura: Gold Coast, AMR
Santa Barbara: AMR

There's a great sticky on each company by county, I'll attach it if I can find it.

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
Found it...
Ignore the fire departments, they're not real people...

Exclusive Operating Areas

Imperial County

Schaefer Ambulance
Calexico Fire Dept.
West Shores Amb. Service
Rural/Metro Ambulance Service

Inyo County

Symons Emergency Specialties
Big Pine Rescue (Volunteer)
Independence Volunteer Fire Dept.
Lone Pine Volunteer Fire Dept.
Olancha-Cartago Fire Dept.
Mutual Aid Liberty Ambulance
Trona Ambulance (BLS)
Death Valley National Monument Ambulance
Southern Inyo Fire Dept.

Mono County

Mono County Paramedic Program
Mammoth Lakes Fire Protection District (BLS)
White Mountain Fire Protection District (BLS)
Chalfant Valley Community Service Fire District (BLS)

San Bernardino County

American Medical Response (ALS)
Schaefer Ambulance (BLS)
Rialto Fire Dept.
Crest Forest Fire Protection District
Desert Ambulance
Morongo Basin Ambulance Association
San Bernardino County Fire Dept. - Lake Arrowhead
Running Springs Fire Dept.
Bear Valley Paramedic Service
San Bernardino County Fire Dept. - Yucca Valley
Needles Ambulance Service
Baker Emergency Service
San Bernardino County Fire Dept. - Searles Valley
San Bernardino County Fire Dept. - Lucerne Valley
Mutual Aide Lberty Ambulance Service
San Bernardino County Fire Dept. - Havasu Lake

Kern County

Kern Ambulance Service
Hall Ambulance Service
Delano Ambulance Service
Care Ambulance Service
Liberty Ambulance Service

Los Angeles County

American Medical Response
Schaefer Ambulance
Westmed Ambulance Service
McCormick Ambulance Service
Care Ambulance Service
Alhambra Fire Dept.
Arcadia Fire Dept.
Avalon Fire Dept.
Beverly Hills Fire Dept.
Burbank Fire Dept.
Compton Fire Dept.
Culver City Fire Dept.
Downey Fire Dept.
El Segundo Fire Dept.
Glendale Fire Dept.
Hermosa Beach Fire Dept.
La Verne Fire Dept.
Long Beach Fire Dept.
Los Angeles Fire Dept.
Manhattan Beach Fire Dept.
Monterey Park Fire Dept.
Pasadena Fire Dept.
City of Los Angeles Fire
Sna Gabriel Fire Dept.
San Marino Fire Dept.
Santa Monica Fire Dept.
Sierra Madre Fire Dept.
South Pasadena Fire Dept.
Torrance Fire Dept.
Vernon Fire Dept.
West Covina Fire Dept.

Orange County

Care Ambulance Service
Emergency Ambulance Service
Schaefer Ambulance Service
Medix Ambulance Service
Huntington Beach Fire Dept.
Doctor's Ambulance Service
Los Angeles County Fire Dept.
Newport Beach Fire Dept.
Orange Fire Dept.
Orange County Fire Authority
Santa Ana Fire Dept.
Americare Ambulance Service

Riverside County

Cathedral City Fire Dept.
Idyllwild Fire Protection District
Indio City Fire Dept.
Cove Communities
Blythe Ambulance (Sold To American Medical Response)

San Diego County

Borrego Springs Fire Protection District
Carlsbad Fire Dept.
Coronado Fire Dept.
El Cajon Fire Dept.
Escondido Fire Dept.
Julian-Cuyamaca Fire Protection District
North County Fire
Oceanside Fire Dept.
Poway Fire Dept.
Ca Dept. of Forestry
San Diego Medical Enterprise (Part of Rural/Metro Ambulance Service)
Valley Center Fire Protection District
Vista Fire Dept.
Santee Fire Dept.
Lakeside Fire Dept.
Barona Fire Dept.

San Luis Obispo County

Cambria Healthcare Dist.
San Luis Ambulance

Santa Barbara County

Santa Barbara County Fire Dept.

Ventura County

Lifeline Medical Transport

Gold Coast Ambulance

All information was derived from the April 2012 version of the EMSA Ground Ambulance Zones, Exclusive Operating Areas Status page found here. More information can be found here. I added hyperlinks to the websites of agencies I was able to find.

OP
OP
E

emtguy56

Forum Probie
Found it...
Ignore the fire departments, they're not real people...

Wow. Thanks for that. Makes it a lot easier. I really appreciate the time you took to respond to this post. I've already applied for many of these places and have yet to hear anything back, but I understand that patience is required. I will apply to the rest in the coming days. I'm thinking of just taking a :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty dialysis/IFT for right now until something better comes along. I'd love to wait for the perfect job but my bills don't pay themselves. Do you think having a shady dialysis/IFT company on your resume will hold you back from getting a better job when the time comes? Like, do the bigger companies look down on potential employees who have worked for these companies, even if briefly?

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow. Thanks for that. Makes it a lot easier. I really appreciate the time you took to respond to this post. I've already applied for many of these places and have yet to hear anything back, but I understand that patience is required. I will apply to the rest in the coming days. I'm thinking of just taking a :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty dialysis/IFT for right now until something better comes along. I'd love to wait for the perfect job but my bills don't pay themselves. Do you think having a shady dialysis/IFT company on your resume will hold you back from getting a better job when the time comes? Like, do the bigger companies look down on potential employees who have worked for these companies, even if briefly?
If LA try these:
AMR, Bowers/Pacific, Cole Schaefer, Care, Mc Cormick. Try and stay away from the companys with the telephone numbers painted on rigs or anything with a now hiring sign. You wanna try and stick with the big 5.

OP
OP
E

emtguy56

Forum Probie
If LA try these:
AMR, Bowers/Pacific, Cole Schaefer, Care, Mc Cormick. Try and stay away from the companys with the telephone numbers painted on rigs or anything with a now hiring sign. You wanna try and stick with the big 5.

Yeah, for sure. I've applied with "the big 5" but have yet to hear back from any of them so I'm looking for a job to kill time until then.