EMT Wrist Watch - Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMT From Israel

Forum Ride Along
Hi All,

I'm a volunteer EMT in Israel, and very new to this forum. Found it by googling "watches for EMT" - since I started going to cases, I feel like my regular watch doesn't cut it. I was looking for something thin, with a large screen, not too many holes and slots where body fluids can accumulate, etc. I want to create a basic EMT watch, one that serves the purpose, but cheap enough to be easily replaced.

I'd like to get your opinions on what would be the most important thing in a watch you wear to work. My basic ones are:

- Silycon/rubber strap - easily washable
- Flat
- Analogue, with seconds hand
- stopper and light options
- sturdy enough to withstand scratches
- minimal design, nothing to distract from the main functions

What do you think of additional functionality like adding the option to easily write down vitals on the strap? Or having some other additional info on the watch itself?

Appreciate any feedback!

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I think the problem with going into this market is that a $5-$10 watch already does an excellent job (not easily broken/damaged, usually rubber that is easy to clean, clearly shows the time, has a light to see the time in dark places). If people write notes during calls, they put a cloth tape on their pants, write on their glove, or they write on a notepad they carry with them. I imagine there would be too little space to write on a watch and it wouldn't be flat enough.

I personally used to buy this watch

6Q2g32e.jpg

It was like $10 usd at Walmart. It wasn't even worth it to buy new batteries for it when it died; I would just buy a new watch.

I eventually stopped wearing watches because the monitors I used had timers on them that I would use instead. I just look in the upper right hand corner of my Philip's HeartStart MRx and I am good to go for doing a manual pulse, drips, or counting the duration of something.

Anyways, in my opinion, I don't think you would have a niche in the market creating an EMS watch.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I usually wear the cheapest Timex I can find in WalMart/Target and have never had any problem whatsoever with that...i can't imagine trying to squeeze legible notes on a watch band, and do not want to have to worry about cleaning/erasing the band/restocking specialized (and therefore presumably rather expensive) note paper that's in an awkward to get to place....

SpecialK

Forum Captain
Hands down the best watch ever; I love it. Easy to see, easy to clean, not tooo terribly expensive, and looks awesome :)

upload_2018-3-26_22-3-17.png

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
I find it hard to imagine you're going to beat out timex in the cheap watch game. Emts don't need anything special in a watch, except a second hand. None of the rest of your ideas are mission critical. To get the unit cost below what's already available, you'd have to have almost no R&D costs(possible, since you're not doing anything the least bit new or exciting), and then rip off about a million units(and get them sold) in one shot.

Basically, you're trying to invent a better mouse trap but without actually innovating while at the same time trying to compete with arguably one of the most prolific manufacturers in that product field. I suggest you save your money/time.

charliefox42

Forum Probie
I have a bunch of really cool watches, but I bought this cheap Casio for work wear. It’ll get beat to heck, washed a thousand times, and generally abused. Then I’ll spend $10 and but another. It meets my needs; easy to read, sweep second hand and water resistant.
TJa09Rb.jpg

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
I wonder... Physically manufacturing watches is probably hopeless, but I bet there is or will be a niche for smart watch apps. It's still new/expensive technology, but I bet before too long they'll be cheap enough that you wouldn't be too afraid to wear one doing EMS stuff.

Press a button to bring up a screen for medical vs trauma and it starts a timer... You select "cardiac arrest" and it has options for an audible CPR metronome and some audible signal to tell you to switch compressors, you can press a button to denote when meds have been given or shocks delivered. At the end of the call you sync it with your monitor or ePCR via bluetooth... If you pick "trauma" it gives you the option to take a picture or video of the scene and maybe even transmit that to your destination hospital with a timestamp so they know exactly what the situation is...

Pretty pie in the sky but there's a lot of possibility there I think.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
When I first started I used cheap watches from the local store. Then I decided to change it up and started to use an expensive G-Shock. From there I decided to switch to the Apple Watch which is what I currently use. The only thing I really need from a watch is to just tell me the current time. I don’t need a second hand.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I used the cheap target special... then I did a wildland fire season. Bought a G-Shock thats still in use. If it can survive a fire season, it'll survive anything.

SpecialK

Forum Captain
I used the cheap target special... then I did a wildland fire season. Bought a G-Shock thats still in use. If it can survive a fire season, it'll survive anything.

Agreed, these are very good, although the Baby G is the female variant; it is robust, easy to clean, and not prohibitively expensive.

I also don't find a second hand useful either.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Closed for bump.

Status
Not open for further replies.