EMT working in a coroners department??

504Medic

Forum Probie
Just a question I have thought of throwing out in the pool. I have many years in ems that has placed me in the position of transporting bodies to the morgue. I have found interest in process of each agencies postion and duties on a scene of a fatalitiy. I am interested to know is it possible to work for a coroners office/ department building on a basis of having a emt certification.

I wish everyone a peaceful night and to those on the streets at this hour, be safe...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Our policy for fatalities on scene is to wait for law enforcement to arrive, provide our info for them to pass on to the coroner, and then leave. We don't transport deceased patients.

One of our local coroner offices likes to have employees with paramedic experience.

OP
OP
504Medic

504Medic

Forum Probie
thank you for responding..have you personally applied for or know of a medic that has being employed..would like to get an idea how to approach my goal. i have been in ems for a while and i am working on a back up plan in case i may have to get off the truck, but i dont anticipate that move for years..but just a precaution..

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
My old anatomy teacher got hired with the coroners office. She was an EMT, Paramedic, firefighter paramedic. However she also had her doctorate degree.

I'm an EMT, and have a Bachelor's degree in Anthropology with coursework in Forensic Anthropology. I've been told that if I so desired, between my experience and education, I'd be a qualified candidate for a job in the coroner's office. As of right now however, I plan on pursuing my paramedic education.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
One of our former paramedics was a deputy coroner and did basic death investigations and body removal. Got some on the job training from the coroner and a couple quick classes from the state. Depends on the area I guess.

reaper

Working Bum
Most of our deputy coroners are former medics. That is what they like to hire. Death scenes and investigations are the easy part of the job. Notifications are the part that will get to you after a while. It is not a job for the meek.