EMT Salary

DeadeyeDiaZ

Forum Probie
What a good starting EMT Salary for the New York City Metro area (bronx, manhattan, queens, etc). I'm afraid I'll ask for too much and be turned down a job for it. So, what's a good asking salary? 10? 12.50? 14? Thank you in advance!!

Focallength

Forum Crew Member
well first off you wont get to ask for a salary youll get paid x amount or you wont take the job. Salraly can range wildly from minimum wage to $15 an hour to start. Realistically expect to earn minimum wage, yes it sucks yes we deserve more yes its skilled labor and yes the guy spinning the sign on the corner gets paid more than you. The problem lies with new EMT's why would an employer pay you what your worth when hundreds of new emts apply for a job every semester and theyll work for minimum wage.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
What a good starting EMT Salary for the New York City Metro area (bronx, manhattan, queens, etc). I'm afraid I'll ask for too much and be turned down a job for it. So, what's a good asking salary? 10? 12.50? 14? Thank you in advance!!

The COL in that area is so high. It would be pathetic for any salary/wage to be that low. Gosh, I hope it's more...good luck :D

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
In Idaho I was getting paid $10 an hour, than Uncle Sam came, bent us over and took most our money haha.

Normally I just put a line through that section, because they usually have a set amount of what they pay there emt's anyways. Also, some departments list there wages on there website.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
On the application, if it asks you for an expected salary range, state "negotiable." At the end of the interview, when asked if you have any further questions, ask "How do you determine compensation?" That's the most straightforward and open-ended way to ask about salary.

medic417

The Truth Provider
well first off you wont get to ask for a salary youll get paid x amount or you wont take the job. Salraly can range wildly from minimum wage to $15 an hour to start. Realistically expect to earn minimum wage, yes it sucks yes we deserve more yes its skilled labor and yes the guy spinning the sign on the corner gets paid more than you. The problem lies with new EMT's why would an employer pay you what your worth when hundreds of new emts apply for a job every semester and theyll work for minimum wage.

120 hours does not equal skilled labor.

But I agree that one of the reasons for low wages is the high number of new emt's that schools are pushing out every week. Plus you are competing with people that sign up to do EMS for free.

Low education standards, over abundance of emt's, and people that do the job for free = low wages.

reidnez

Forum Crew Member
Just as the others said, they're going to pay what they're going to pay you...if you don't want the job, 20 others will happily take it. The average EMT-B stays with a company for less than a year before moving on to bigger and better things. Agencies know this and pay accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:

subliminal1284

Forum Lieutenant
Im sorry but the over abundance of EMT excuse just does not work. Taco bell here starts out at 9.00 an hour with ZERO prior training at all and they are always hiring. There are alot more people out there with no training at all and they are making more than some EMT's. I think the reason the pay is so low is because people would rather work as an EMT and make a little less than work a boring unskilled position. I hate to say it but if EMS ever wants to make more money we need some type of union.

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
Im sorry but the over abundance of EMT excuse just does not work. Taco bell here starts out at 9.00 an hour with ZERO prior training at all and they are always hiring. There are alot more people out there with no training at all and they are making more than some EMT's. I think the reason the pay is so low is because people would rather work as an EMT and make a little less than work a boring unskilled position. I hate to say it but if EMS ever wants to make more money we need some type of union.

I have no problems with unions. If EMS went union do you think they could help with having better education? Better pay and hours? I'm not so sure since I have never worked a union job. What would be the pro's and con's of going union?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
the NYC metro area is more than just the 5 boroughs

The metropolitan area includes 23 counties, ten counties in New York State (those coinciding with the five boroughs of New York City, the two counties of Long Island, and three counties in the lower Hudson Valley); twelve counties in Northern and Central New Jersey; and one county in northeastern Pennsylvania according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_metropolitan_area

larger systems (in the busy urban areas) can pay as much as 18 an hour to start, while others pay less than $12/hr.

The higher paying systems tend to be harder to get into, require more experience, or require a hook/an in to get hired by.

as for the pay issue, how much do municipal garbage men make? anyone know what training requirements they have and how long of a training program they have prior to being eligible to be hired for the job? inquiring minds want to know.

subliminal1284

Forum Lieutenant
Garbage men can actually make pretty good money ive seen some starting out at 15 an hour and more. Again another job that requires no skill that pays more than an EMT so sorry guys the over abundance excuse doesnt make any sense because there are so many more unskilled people out there that have jobs paying considerably more than what an EMT makes.

zzrider

Forum Ride Along
I'm a new, recently-licensed EMT-B with no experience, just hired at a private ambulance company in central MA for $12/hr. FWIW.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
I feel sorry for you guys in the US, your salary needs to be better.

In Aus, we dont have EMTs, just Paramedics and Intensive care paramedics run by the state government. I am a student paramedic (2.5 years to qualify) and I get $20 and hour base rate = around 50k a year. You guys deserve more,