EMT Recert

Sarahbeth

Forum Ride Along
Hi everyone, this will be my first time needing to recert and I am having a hard time. I will be re-certifying by taking the test again but I can't seem to find out if I need to retake the psychomotor tests. I am not expired. I have until 3/31 before that happens. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm assuming you're referring to NR recert.

If that is the case, call the registry and ask them. Quite simply, why risk your card on some nameless faceless person on the internet who may or may not know what they're talking about. Much better to call the horse directly, get a name and ID number etc and know for sure.

ETA: the registry people are very friendly and accommodating. No reason not to call them. You may need to wait for a response, as this is the period of time when their phone is ringing nonstop.

Also, you're being very reckless with your card waiting until mid march to get this done, unless you're talking about next years cycle.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Hi everyone, this will be my first time needing to recert and I am having a hard time. I will be re-certifying by taking the test again but I can't seem to find out if I need to retake the psychomotor tests. I am not expired. I have until 3/31 before that happens. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Are you re-certing registry or your state?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
If you recert by test for NR, once you successfully complete the test, you will have to have your skills verified by your training director and your medical director will have to sign off on the form. Then you send it all to NR.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
you will have to have your skills verified by your training director and your medical director will have to sign off on the form

I think for BLS providers, there is no medical director signoff required?

OP
OP
S

Sarahbeth

Forum Ride Along
That is exactly where I have been looking and still didn't find the answers that I was needing. Hence, why I asked in the first place.

OP
OP
S

Sarahbeth

Forum Ride Along
I'm assuming you're referring to NR recert.

If that is the case, call the registry and ask them. Quite simply, why risk your card on some nameless faceless person on the internet who may or may not know what they're talking about. Much better to call the horse directly, get a name and ID number etc and know for sure.

ETA: the registry people are very friendly and accommodating. No reason not to call them. You may need to wait for a response, as this is the period of time when their phone is ringing nonstop.

Also, you're being very reckless with your card waiting until mid march to get this done, unless you're talking about next years cycle.

Hey there, So I have always planned on calling but it was fairly late last night so I thought you friendly folk might be able to give me some insight. And furthermore, If you don't know someone's situation I would recommend not judging them. Just something I have learned in my time here on earth.

OP
OP
S

Sarahbeth

Forum Ride Along
If you recert by test for NR, once you successfully complete the test, you will have to have your skills verified by your training director and your medical director will have to sign off on the form. Then you send it all to NR.
Is this still the case if I am not employed as an EMT? Thank you! :)

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Is this still the case if I am not employed as an EMT? Thank you! :)
Finding a medical director to sign off on the skills portion of your recert may be a little trickier, but not impossible. Nomad gave you the link, perhaps check it out, and it can elaborate a tad further.
And furthermore, If you don't know someone's situation I would recommend not judging them. Just something I have learned in my time here on earth.
I didn't take his remark as judging you, more so as advice, perhaps you should do the same:). You're right, we don't know your personal situations, but this is an online forum, and this is a question (like many) that can probably best be served with the search bar, or even directly through NREMT (sounds like you're headed there next, so kudos).

It's not that people on here aren't friendly, or helpful, it's the redundancy of the questions that are answered repeatedly daily, if not weekly. Also, are you not human? Do you never judge based on your personal opinions? I'm not picking on ya', just trying to tell you that from what I've learned on my time on earth, and in this field is that many judge, oftentimes behind your back.

On here people often take the time to tell you directly what they may feel is their opinion, their spin, or advice. Whether or not you like it is one thing, but when you ask for help and don't hear something you like that doesn't open up a whole lot of room for the "kind folks" on this forum to want to take the time to offer up their honest, and experienced opinions.

Would you rather someone offer up the fluffed up, watered down advice version, or the honest and straightforward advice? Either way, good luck, and hopefully you got the answers you were looking for.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sarahbeth

Forum Ride Along
Finding a medical director to sign off on the skills portion of your recert may be a little trickier, but not impossible. Nomad gave you the link, perhaps check it out, and it can elaborate a tad further.

I didn't take his remark as judging you, more so as advice, perhaps you should do the same:). You're right, we don't know your personal situations, but this is an online forum, and this is a question (like many) that can probably best be served with the search bar, or even directly through NREMT (sounds like you're headed there next, so kudos).

It's not that people on here aren't friendly, or helpful, it's the redundancy of the questions that are answered repeatedly daily, if not weekly. Also, are you not human? Do you never judge based on your personal opinions? I'm not picking on ya', just trying to tell you that from what I've learned on my time on earth, and in this field is that many judge, oftentimes behind your back.

On here people often take the time to tell you directly what they may feel is their opinion, their spin, or advice. Whether or not you like it is one thing, but when you ask for help and don't hear something you like that doesn't open up a whole lot of room for the "kind folks" on this forum to want to take the time to offer up their honest, and experienced opinions.

Would you rather someone offer up the fluffed up, watered down advice version, or the honest and straightforward advice? Either way, good luck, and hopefully you got the answers you were looking for.

Unfortunately, the link that Nomad gave is where I had been looking prior to this post and when I didn't find what I was looking for, I came here. Thank you for the sound advice and apologies that this was a redundant question. I had looked in threads for a similar question before posting but when I didn't find my answers I figured I should ask. I'm sure I just wasn't looking in the right places.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Unfortunately, the link that Nomad gave is where I had been looking prior to this post and when I didn't find what I was looking for, I came here. Thank you for the sound advice and apologies that this was a redundant question. I had looked in threads for a similar question before posting but when I didn't find my answers I figured I should ask. I'm sure I just wasn't looking in the right places.
I was in a similar predicament one year, but luckily got hired by a service with an available medical director.

I think a lot of times on here people tend to misread some of our snark for just snark; oftentimes there's more behind it. If you actually listen to the words, and not see them (if that makes any sense), you'll gain some insight, I know I've gained some.

If you've been in, or around this field for a few years you're already aware of the many type-A and often seemingly abrasive personalities.

Don't be afraid to ask, even if you're given the answer in a presumably unappealing way, it should in theory drive you to search for the answers if you haven't already.