emt question

emily1024

Forum Probie
so im looking to enroll in a emt basic course after high school, i was wondering if there are any standers to get into a emt class like you have to have a certain score on a math entrance exam or high reading scores to get into the class. im going to a community collage near me and was wondering if you had to have certain scores to get in the the class. im not to good at math and almost 100% will fail any test they give me on math.

EKUEMT

Forum Probie
Usually you don't have to take any tests or have any certain scores in anything. I just finished my EMT class and am in the paramedic program at my college. The only entrance exam we have is for the advance sequence for the medic program.
There is math involved but don't over think it, it's easier math than you think. Give yourself some confidence. You got this. Just hunker down and study. You'll get it under your belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
emily1024

emily1024

Forum Probie
Usually you don't have to take any tests or have any certain scores in anything. I just finished my EMT class and am in the paramedic program at my college. The only entrance exam we have is for the advance sequence for the medic program.
There is math involved but don't over think it, it's easier math than you think. Give yourself some confidence. You got this. Just hunker down and study. You'll get it under your belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thank you, math is a huge stress and thinking about collage overwhelms me, im in this alone and really have no idea how to do this kind of stuff like applying for collage but its helpful to know that you dont really need math to get into the class. but will eventually need it when i want to get my paramedic degree.

EKUEMT

Forum Probie
I've been in college since 2012. I had no clue what I wanted to do. I thought I had it all figured out. Was a pre-med/nursing student and then didn't like it and switched to business. I bounced around majors to see what I wanted. I also have Crohn's disease and was hospitalized with a major flare for two weeks and it hit me that healthcare was what I wanted to do, it's where my heart is. I chose EMS because it allows me to save someone's life and I got the bug the minute I went on my first call in ride time. I was hooked and haven't looked back.
College let's you discover a lot about yourself and your life. Most colleges offer free tutoring to students. My advice, take advantage of it with math and listen to them. I know it's frustrating, but you can do it. Dosage calc is a mind of its own but once you study and get it down pat you're golden with it. You can do this! I promise!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It's going to depend on the program itself. The EMS department at my college did a trial of having a prerequisite of English 101 (college level) to enroll. Due to very low registration numbers that prerequisite was changed to "recommended".

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
For the most part, the ability to read is the main requirement for EMT school. There's some math; such as if a patient breathes 6 times in 15 seconds, what's their respiratory rate; but that's about it. Medic school gets somewhat more advanced, but the BLS curriculum is written at somewhere around the 8th grade level.