EMT -- Medical Skill Sheet

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
There is a difference between real world and skills testing. You don't memorize and follow the skill sheet to the letter in the field.

OP
OP
khaysley

khaysley

Forum Probie
Okay, how did you remember for testing???

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Easy peasy

1) Read it.
2) Annotate it.
3) Do it
4) Review with peers
5) write it out by hand while looking at it
6) write it out until you can write it from memory
7) repeat the live drill until you can do it every time without referencing notes

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I just following the order of everything and I always wrote it down before doing skills. Memorize your order so you can write it, then just follow the sheet.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
1. Read it.
2. Try to repeat what I just read without looking.
3. Check to see if I was right.
4. Read the next thing.
5. Try to repeat what I just read without looking.
6. Check if I was right.
7. Repeat the first two things without looking.
8. Rinse and repeat.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
Write a rap, which is what my mom did for her EMR test. Parents these days.

Rhymes, motions, drawing pictures, etc, can be very helpful, depending on your learning style. For my memory aid, I'd hold up a hand to represent BSI, count off the five items on the scene survey on my fingers, and then do a whole hand waving routine by my head which made me look like an absolute nutter, but indicated general impression, LOC, and chief complaint.

For a friend who was more verbal, we made up prompts with stuff like, "ABC, 123, won't you take a ride with me?" Airway - (1) Patent; Breathing (2) adequate ventilation, oxygen therapy; Circulation (3) assess pulse, check for bleeding, assess skin; make transport decision. That's around half your critical criteria right there.

EMTaylor

Forum Probie
6-3 ABC transport me - is what I would start with.

6: bsi, scene, # patients, NOI, ALS, c-spine
3: general impression, AVPU/LOC, chief complaint/life threats
Airway
Breathing
Circulation
Priority #1 transport

Then it's onto History. I would automatically write down my own version: SOPQRSTIAMPLE

I used to sit there and just write it all out until I could verbally go through the list. Trust me, the more you have those memorized the better. But it all goes out the door when you're in the real world.

beaucait

Forum Crew Member
I did side by side comparisons of the medical and trauma sheets. That really put it all together for me.
also, look at the similarities and differences between all of the sheets, you will see a pattern.
I always forget to do the patient transport/priority

RScott

Forum Probie
I practiced out loud, mostly while driving. Getting used to saying the words out loud helped me. I also approached the skills sheet as if I were going to teach it to a class or make an instructional video. So I would narrate what I was doing and then I would do it. That helped me contextualize the sequence of events into a coherent "scene."

You should be able to take a blank paper into the test. You can immediately jot some notes, like SAMPLE, OPQRST, Vitals, etc. once the test starts. I did that, mostly to remember to record the information that the proctor provided so that I could give a good report to the "hospital." But it also helps for remembering all of the steps.