EMT Licensing in California?

EMTeastman

Forum Probie
Hey guys, I recently passed the NREMT (woo), and someone told me that I still have to get licensed by sending in all my documents and whatnot. I couldn't find anywhere on the website that confirmed this, so I was wondering if anyone knows if this is true, and if it is, where to go? I wanna start applying for jobs asap.

EDIT: Keep in mind I am in California, so things are a bit different than everywhere else. I'd prefer someone who is also familiar with California certification.

Thanks =)

-Tanner

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
You need state certification bfore you can work in any state. So you have to send CA your certification documents from NREMT to obtain your state certification.
http://www.emsa.ca.gov/

OP
OP
E

EMTeastman

Forum Probie
You need state certification bfore you can work in any state. So you have to send CA your certification documents from NREMT to obtain your state certification.
http://www.emsa.ca.gov/

I already received my certification in the mail. What I'm talking about is the "licensing." My friend said it's different than certification.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Do you have a certification from the state of California? Other than that he might be talking about county licensing (because CA is backwards like that) but I'm not sure.
Your original post made it sound like NREMT certification was the only thing you had

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
What county are you in? CA state does not give out EMT licenses. For the EMT level it is only a certification.

You need the state card to work in CA. Some counties require an "expanded scope" card (OC/LA). In order to get the state card you have to go through a county EMS office (ex. REMS, ICEMA).

OP
OP
E

EMTeastman

Forum Probie
Do you have a certification from the state of California? Other than that he might be talking about county licensing (because CA is backwards like that) but I'm not sure.
Your original post made it sound like NREMT certification was the only thing you had

Hmm, I thought I had the California cert, but I'm not entirely sure. I got a certificate in the mail after passing the NREMT, is that it?

OP
OP
E

EMTeastman

Forum Probie
What county are you in? CA state does not give out EMT licenses. For the EMT level it is only a certification.

You need the state card to work in CA. Some counties require an "expanded scope" card (OC/LA). In order to get the state card you have to go through a county EMS office (ex. REMS, ICEMA).

I'm in Alameda County in the Bay Area. So now I just need to go through the county to get my card?

drl

Forum Lieutenant
Hmm, I thought I had the California cert, but I'm not entirely sure. I got a certificate in the mail after passing the NREMT, is that it?

No, that's just the NREMT certification, not a license to practice. To get that, you'll need to visit your local county EMS office. For Alameda County, see here. Note that you will need to get your Live Scan background check done before then, and since you'll need another one for the DMV Ambulance Driver's Certificate, you may as well get it done at the same time.

Only when you have all of these components can you start applying to companies.

OP
OP
E

EMTeastman

Forum Probie
No, that's just the NREMT certification, not a license to practice. To get that, you'll need to visit your local county EMS office. For Alameda County, see here. Note that you will need to get your Live Scan background check done before then, and since you'll need another one for the DMV Ambulance Driver's Certificate, you may as well get it done at the same time.

Only when you have all of these components can you start applying to companies.

Okay, awesome! Thanks a lot. That helps so much =)

avdrummerboy

Forum Lieutenant
To work as an EMT in CA, the basics that you need are: NREMT (only for your initial certification,) your BLS CPR card, your DL51 (green medical card,) ambulance drivers license, and state cert. The ambulance DL and state cert require separate (thanks to a US court ruling) livescan fingerprinting. Certain counties require additional scope of practice certs and LA city has a DOT card that you'll need if you wish to work there (which is yet another livescan.)

drl

Forum Lieutenant
To work as an EMT in CA, the basics that you need are: NREMT (only for your initial certification,) your BLS CPR card, your DL51 (green medical card,) ambulance drivers license, and state cert. The ambulance DL and state cert require separate (thanks to a US court ruling) livescan fingerprinting. Certain counties require additional scope of practice certs and LA city has a DOT card that you'll need if you wish to work there (which is yet another livescan.)

Yep. Just one correction on the DL51; since January 2014, CA DMV has phased out the DL-51B "green card," so now you use this federal Medical Examiner's Certificate instead. I was confused for a while, and it didn't help that most of the DMV people were as clueless about the change as I was.

drl

Forum Lieutenant
Haden't heard that, mine isn't due until Feb of next year though

Yeah, it's been a confusing change. Neither the first DMV employee I spoke to nor my doctor knew what to do about that, had to go back afterwards and get the doctor to sign that new card...

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Yep. Just one correction on the DL51; since January 2014, CA DMV has phased out the DL-51B "green card," so now you use this federal Medical Examiner's Certificate instead. I was confused for a while, and it didn't help that most of the DMV people were as clueless about the change as I was.
So they're finally like any other parts of the country that require EMT's to get a DOT card lol. When I worked EMS in NM, I had to get a DOT physical every year and carry that card in my wallet at all times while working.
Here in TX, however, I don't have to do that.

Angel

Paramedic
and it has to be done by a physician certified to do it. (i believe they have to attend a national registry course or pay a fee...something). but they get a special number that goes on the paper.
also was told you are able to shrink it down to wallet size as long as it is legible.

Corey

Forum Probie
Sorry to piggy back off this old post, but I used the same livescan for my state, county, and ADL forms, will this be a problem later? I applied for my state and county license a few weeks ago, and I applied for my ADL a few weeks ago. The DMV gave me a temporary ADL permit, and I even asked them if it would be acceptable to use a copy of the same livescan form that I used for my state and county app, and the woman there said it would be fine. She also seemed to not know the entire process of helping a person get their ADL, so I am a bit hesitant and would appreciate any help. I have been searching, googling, and asking everyone I know in the EMT field to no avail. Also, does anyone know how long it takes to get your CA and Orange County cert/license? I applied on the 9th and nothing has happened so far. Thank you!

Angel

Paramedic
The different agencies can't or don't share the live scan info so you'll most likely have to get it done again.

Corey

Forum Probie
It needs to be separate live scans for each

The different agencies can't or don't share the live scan info so you'll most likely have to get it done again.

Damn, well, hopefully it won't be a huge deal. As far as the return time regarding the OC and CA license, any idea as to how long it will take them to approve my applications?

Wings91

Forum Probie

Yeah, it's been a confusing change. Neither the first DMV employee I spoke to nor my doctor knew what to do about that, had to go back afterwards and get the doctor to sign that new card...

Do we still have to get the medical examiner's certificate signed by the doctor on top of the DL-51? Anybody know? I was told on this thread that the doc needs to sign off just the DL-51.