EMT license transfer/job

Txavier001

Forum Ride Along
Good morning, so I recently passed my NREMT and had some questions that can hopefully get answered here. First, do you have to take a test to be licensed in each state or can you be licensed and then just transfer over the info to another state? The other question is if I'm going to be moving states in 5 months should I wait to get a job in the ems or should I go right away?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
there is no easy answer, as it's entirely state specific.

As a general rule, each states maintains their own rules and regulations, so while many will simply accept your NR cert and issue you a state card, that isn't always the case. Some will also accept your current state card, and issue you a card from the new state.

if you are going to be moving in 5 months, than I would check your new state's criteria for reciprocity. Some require you to have a job (or job offer) before they will even consider you for a new card, while others don't. Check the states EMS reciprocity website for the specific rules you need to follow.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Like Dr said: state by state.
Check your existing and new state.

I would also get as much CE hours as you can with certificates to back them up: a couple of states require a certain amount before they will let you get certified there (which I think is dumb).

OP
OP
T

Txavier001

Forum Ride Along
there is no easy answer, as it's entirely state specific.

As a general rule, each states maintains their own rules and regulations, so while many will simply accept your NR cert and issue you a state card, that isn't always the case. Some will also accept your current state card, and issue you a card from the new state.

if you are going to be moving in 5 months, than I would check your new state's criteria for reciprocity. Some require you to have a job (or job offer) before they will even consider you for a new card, while others don't. Check the states EMS reciprocity website for the specific rules you need to follow.
Alright cool thank you. Would I be able to find the EMS rec. On the NREMT site?

OP
OP
T

Txavier001

Forum Ride Along
Like Dr said: state by state.
Check your existing and new state.

I would also get as much CE hours as you can with certificates to back them up: a couple of states require a certain amount before they will let you get certified there (which I think is dumb).
What's CE exactly?

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
CE = Continuing Education hours. If you just passed the test and got your NREMT card, you can take CE classes over the next 2 years. You can start keep track of hours for renewal already. But that's a whole different thread.

And yeah, this really really really depends on your current state and what state you might be moving to. If "California" is anywhere in the mix, it complicates things significantly. ;-)

OP
OP
T

Txavier001

Forum Ride Along
That is not a good sign because California is the next place I'm going to . But the CE stuff I will definitely look into now . Thank you for the information.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I would start with this site:

if you don't find what you are looking for, give them a call and ask what the process involves

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
For CA, you need to figure out what county you want to work in. Then you go through their process and any required add training and testing.