EMT license plate - Pros and cons?

leenad

Forum Ride Along
Hello, I'm an EMT student in NYC. I'm taking my NYS written exam this week and I am confident that I will pass. I was wondering if it was worth it to get EMT plates?

medic417

The Truth Provider
Search the subject here we had a long discussion about plates a few months back. You will find some states only allow certified people get them, others allow everyone.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Pros:

Depending on where the funds go, you can help support an EMS cause (of course there are always alternative ways to donate).

Everyone knows that you're an EMT.

Regular plates just look dull.

Cons:
Everyone knows you're an EMT.

Some states require everyone trained to administer aid to stop at an accident. You have just put a big bulls eye on your car. Think about this next time you're late to a date, exam, work, a family emergency, etc.

Everyone knows that you're an EMT.

Cost.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Ehh, plates here in Texas are pretty cheap, and we are not required to stop, plate or not.

wms_license_plate.jpg

As for if it's worth it? Depends on cost to you, and if you want it. I don't have one, but I won't say I've never thought of it...

OP
OP
L

leenad

Forum Ride Along
Thank you for the insightful responses. Does anybody know the specific NYC laws for EMT plates? Can somebody else drive your car with those plates on?

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant
I believe in NY you are not required to stop with those plates or even a window decal.
I used to live and work in NY

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Hello, I'm an EMT student in NYC. I'm taking my NYS written exam this week and I am confident that I will pass. I was wondering if it was worth it to get EMT plates?

I never cared about custom plates, but in your case, the deciding factor would be whether or not ems plates could keep the meter maids and cops off your back. If yes, then they would be worth their weight in gold. Correction, in NYC, they would be worth a lot more!

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I never cared about custom plates, but in your case, the deciding factor would be whether or not ems plates could keep the meter maids and cops off your back. If yes, then they would be worth their weight in gold. Correction, in NYC, they would be worth a lot more!

Cops it will keep off unless you're driving crazy. They'll probably stop you still, but as long as you weren't doing stupid crap, and are respectful to the officer, they will probably let you off with a warning

My front license plate was stolen / lost, so I'm going to be getting an EMS LP hopefully for front only, and just a Star of Life SD EMS decal on the lower left of my rear window.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Cops it will keep off unless you're driving crazy. They'll probably stop you still, but as long as you weren't doing stupid crap, and are respectful to the officer, they will probably let you off with a warning

My front license plate was stolen / lost, so I'm going to be getting an EMS LP hopefully for front only, and just a Star of Life SD EMS decal on the lower left of my rear window.

Hey, exo, you know the EMS plates aren't being issued yet, right???

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey, exo, you know the EMS plates aren't being issued yet, right???

I'm waiting still ;] I've bookmarked that page a while back.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
n68106321_30040274_7538.jpg

Fitting, dont you say?

For the record, I dont like in VA, and cannot foresee myself getting EMS plates anytime soon...

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant
n68106321_30040274_7538.jpg

Fitting, dont you say?

For the record, I dont like in VA, and cannot foresee myself getting EMS plates anytime soon...

Well if that is not yours, someone is a wacker...lol

Dan, you should make that you avatar pic...lol

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Only reason I'd ever consider getting EMS plates is to keep meter maids and cops away. If it didn't do that, then I wouldn't get it. I have no desire for everyone to know what I do.

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
I don't know of too many professions that boast their certification on a license plate...