EMT Job in New Jersey

MMM Medic11

Forum Probie
I am a brand new EMT I have about six months of experience volunteering. I fell in love with EMS and am now looking to make a career out of it. I was wondering if anyone knows of any good EMS jobs in the state or where a good place to look? After a little more experience I am also hoping to become a medic. Thanks in advance!

FFMedic3293

Forum Probie
You want 911 experience, a lot of the bigger cities (Newark, Jersey City, Camden, etc) will have their own EMS 911 only system and you will have high call volume. Upside is a lot of experience very quickly, downside is a lot of nonsense as well. Usually, better pay and benefits in cities areas than a private transport system.

OP
OP
MMM Medic11

MMM Medic11

Forum Probie
You want 911 experience, a lot of the bigger cities (Newark, Jersey City, Camden, etc) will have their own EMS 911 only system and you will have high call volume. Upside is a lot of experience very quickly, downside is a lot of nonsense as well. Usually, better pay and benefits in cities areas than a private transport system.

My problem is everyone wants two plus years of experience. I do not know where a good place is two start off. Thanks for the advice! I will look into some local cities.

FFMedic3293

Forum Probie
What area do you live in, I know a lot about some of the local companies that will hire no problem, if you're around central NJ (i.e. Monmouth/ ocean counties)

FFMedic3293

Forum Probie
If you Live in Ocean County, especially Manchester, Toms River, Bayville, Beachwood areas, Quality Medical Transport will most likely hire you with no issues. That is where I started 10 years ago, got hired the day my EMT card came in. They have a couple areas where they do 911 only, but they also do some non-emergent transports for dialysis or hospital discharges. Overall not a BAD company to work for, but not a career company either. You will get healthcare if you need it (Idk how good it is anymore), some Vac/ Sick time, and their average pay is only about $12ish to start, but it was a fun job when I worked there 10 years ago, and a lot of the old timers are still there.

There is Alert Ambulance, they do primarily non-emergent/ IFT. I have interacted with them regularly while I worked as a medic but I have never worked there. Pay is slightly higher than Quality, they have the opportunity for SCTU, but Idk about the work environment. I believe they have mandatory 4hrs OT after every shift so you can imagine how everyone feels about that. Overall though a large company and it'll get you the experience you need.

GEM ambulance is also in Lakewood, they cover a large area and have been growing significantly the last few years. They also have 911, Non-emergent, SCTU, and Bariatric truck as well. I am unsure on the pay and work environment but it is a growing company and they had just won a large contract taking over all of Saint Barnabas' Nonemergent transports.

Monmouth/ Ocean County you always have MONOC. Monoc will most likely hire you no issues. I worked there for 7 years, I loved it for the most part. You will hear and see a lot of people talk a lot of negative stuff about MONOC but here is the run down. They don't too pay well (actually they just increased their base pay slightly, for EMT I think around 12-13/hr) in comparison to other EMS projects. Their benefits are so-so, they are union which is good and bad, They have 911 trucks and non-emergent so you ill get to see both. The MAJOR upsides to monoc are the flexibility in scheduling, I mean you can literally work almost any day or night that you want, TONS of OT, cover large area, and the people that work on the streets are generally really good people. I really enjoyed my time there, loved everyone I worked with, worked tons of hours. I left because I got an offer at a new project down in south jersey for significantly more money, I still miss MONOC every day though.

Once you get some experience under your belt, if you are still serious about making EMS a career there are a few really good paid BLS positions, Keep your eye out for municipal ones they have the best pay/ benefits/ retirement.
Brick Twp
Lakewood Twp
Toms River Twp
Monroe Twp (Middlesex i think)
Cherry Hill Fire Dept
Pennsauken
Gloucester County

Those are just some of the good 911 only BLS jobs. I know a lot of medics who still work BLS full time because the pay and benefits are better at those jobs than most medic jobs. I will always recommend getting your medic bc I truly love it and think it is an awesome job, but know some BLS jobs will pay better and have better benefits than most medic gigs because every ALS project in NJ is private company and hospital based.

Good Luck. PM me if you have any questions.

OP
OP
MMM Medic11

MMM Medic11

Forum Probie
What area do you live in, I know a lot about some of the local companies that will hire no problem, if you're around central NJ (i.e. Monmouth/ ocean counties)

Thank you so much for all the information!!! I live in north Jersey right outside of Morristown. I have only heard bad things about Monoc but I will definitely look into them. I think it is all about putting out some résumés and hope you get a job somewhere to get some experience. Then move to a better company. Once again thank you so much for all the advice that's exactly the information I was looking for!!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Thank you so much for all the information!!! I live in north Jersey right outside of Morristown. I have only heard bad things about Monoc but I will definitely look into them. I think it is all about putting out some résumés and hope you get a job somewhere to get some experience. Then move to a better company. Once again thank you so much for all the advice that's exactly the information I was looking for!!
My girlfriend used to live near there, i think, in Roxbury. She might know someone to talk to I'll ask her