EMT in training

AshleyGruff

Forum Ride Along
Hi, I'm new to this blog and I start EMT school next week in San Diego. Its been my dream to be a firefighter/ paramedic and in order to get there I have to get my EMT certs. Do you have any tips for learning that may help with understanding the material and/or getting better grades? I'm a recent high school graduate and I've been advanced CPR/first aid certified.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Just find a way that works for you. Different resources word or show things differently and some just click. ForForample, I liked Kahn academy for anatomy and physiology. Other than that, it's just a matter of consistency.

OP
OP
AshleyGruff

AshleyGruff

Forum Ride Along
Kahn academy is awesome! I didn't know they did more than math! Thanks so much!

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
EMT is a basic level course. It shouldn't be too difficult if you have decent study methods/ habits. I was in the same boat as you when I went to EMT school 7 years ago... wow doesn't seem that long... 2 months out of high school and I passed just fine.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
AshleyGruff, the EMT curriculum is much less technical than, say, Chemistry. If you can read at a high-school level, can take criticism and don't mind group exercises, you should be okay.

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
As long as you show up and read/study the book/notes you will be okay. Like everyone else said, it’s not to comprehensive and just dives into basic emergency medicine principles and topics.

JK773

Forum Probie
I’ve been an EMT for 8 years and I work for a busy 911 service in MA where we respond BLS and have ALS intercepts.

My biggest tip is simple listen and study your tests if you see your going downhill because alot of teachers use a test generator. During class you may do ride time or hospital time, ask questions

Also after class you will hear a lot after class “I’m just a basic” if you leave class with that mindset then yes you are just a basic and all you will do for your patient is what your BLS class taught you. Don’t get me wrong over the last years I have said that before but I listen to podcasts, watch you tube videos, and read things to advance my knowledge so yes I’m just a basic but I like to think I know what I’m doing on scene 😂😂😂 especially when ALS isn’t available or hasn’t arrived yet.

Joe