EMT in training

AshleyGruff

Forum Ride Along
Hi, I'm new to this blog and I start EMT school next week in San Diego. Its been my dream to be a firefighter/ paramedic and in order to get there I have to get my EMT certs. Do you have any tips for learning that may help with understanding the material and/or getting better grades? I'm a recent high school graduate and I've been advanced CPR/first aid certified.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Just find a way that works for you. Different resources word or show things differently and some just click. ForForample, I liked Kahn academy for anatomy and physiology. Other than that, it's just a matter of consistency.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
EMT is a basic level course. It shouldn't be too difficult if you have decent study methods/ habits. I was in the same boat as you when I went to EMT school 7 years ago... wow doesn't seem that long... 2 months out of high school and I passed just fine.

mgr22

Forum Asst. Chief
AshleyGruff, the EMT curriculum is much less technical than, say, Chemistry. If you can read at a high-school level, can take criticism and don't mind group exercises, you should be okay.

justin1232

Forum Lieutenant
As long as you show up and read/study the book/notes you will be okay. Like everyone else said, it’s not to comprehensive and just dives into basic emergency medicine principles and topics.