emt in antarctica

arctic2

Forum Crew Member
Yes you read that title right.

I heard that emt's and firefighters are hired to work at the science stations for both the winter and summer seasons. By any chance has anyone done this themselves or even know where to begin with employment there? Saw a documentary about living in antarctica and there were fire/ems so I know it is true and not a rumor. Just curious as to how one would go about this. I Googled and searched and as usual there is nothing helpful.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Last year a guy I worked with was in the process of getting hired as a firefighter. I don't know what base/ station he applied at, but I remember him saying that they did the interview via videochat and a phone call or two. They actually called him back with a job offer, I think he turned it down (he was married).

I would start by googling firefighter jobs in Antarctica. A quick google search revealed to me www.antarticfire.org so theres a start. I don't know if its for every base/ station or a specific site. Maybe also look up bases/ stations in Antarctica, I hear their like small cities. You could probably find some information there.

Edit: Also this thread would be more at home in International EMS or EMS Employment.

OP
OP
A

arctic2

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the answer. I did research into it and i kept getting led to one site to another.

Is there a way to move this post to another thread? Would a moderator do that?

Sorry I'll keep that in mind next time

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Raytheon has had main contract down there forever.

http://rpsc.raytheon.com/

http://www.usap.gov/jobsAndOpportunities/

As being hired as an EMT, that is unlikely...Paramedic would be minimum. Firefighter would be possible depending on your experience. BUt a lot of the people who work there, have done so for years and it is a tight group. If you have the FF quals, go for it. Your EMT alone is not enough.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I think PAE has something. Last I checked it was all FF/Paramedic though... I didn't meet the quals... It's been a while though.

As others have said, and as we've reiterated in dozens of threads... These jobs are not offered to Basics anymore, I mean sure - anything can happen - but the majority require Paramedic as a minimum. Usually a few years as a paramedic at that.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I have saw many ad's for this over the years, they are all Firefighter positions from what I saw, requiring EMS certification as a secondary thing.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
One of our local fire guys did a year there as an FF/EMT for Raytheon. He did not have the most positive things to say though he is overall happy with the experience and thinks that it helped him get a fulltime FD job.