EMT-I Students

phideux

Forum Captain
I saw they have a spot for EMT-B students, and a spot for paramedic students. Now there is a spot for the in between EMT-I students.
Our second week of class so far has been pretty much review of Basic, and patient assessment. Soon it will be IVs and Airways.B)

VentMedic

Forum Chief
It will be a good day when this level finally disappears in 2014. It is just a display of what EMS in the U.S. has become with emphasis on a few skills without the knowledge.

You need to move on to Paramedic quickly so you will at least know why you are doing the skills being taught at this level.

OP
OP
P

phideux

Forum Captain
I'm on my way to Medic, but I guess Intermediate is a required step here.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I saw they have a spot for EMT-B students, and a spot for paramedic students. Now there is a spot for the in between EMT-I students.
Our second week of class so far has been pretty much review of Basic, and patient assessment. Soon it will be IVs and Airways.B)

Like 90% of the class is Basic review........

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
It will be a good day when this level finally disappears in 2014. It is just a display of what EMS in the U.S. has become with emphasis on a few skills without the knowledge.

You need to move on to Paramedic quickly so you will at least know why you are doing the skills being taught at this level.

i've kept my words to myself ever since i've joined this site but i have to say.. do you have to be so rude in every damn post you respond to.. they need to ban you again seeing as how every post you seem to put down every aspect of ems. if you hate the way the system is then stop coming to the forum or do you just come on here to start crap?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
i've kept my words to myself ever since i've joined this site but i have to say.. do you have to be so rude in every damn post you respond to.. they need to ban you again seeing as how every post you seem to put down every aspect of ems. if you hate the way the system is then stop coming to the forum or do you just come on here to start crap?

Do you want to point out exactly what was rude in that post?

Do you not want anyone to strive for a higher level of training or education?
Do you want everyone to stay an EMT-B because you are one?

Do you not have an understanding about the coming changes for the NREMT and the levels? Did you see Intermediate listed in the new levels?

There are over 50 different EMS certs making a mess of this field with most of these based solely on a few skills.

Wise up...times are a changin'.

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
Oh I agree about a higher education. Thats why I have asked what classes I should take to help me with my paramedic degree besides just the prereqs. You just seem to think that everyone needs to be a nurse since you are one. I understand that there are so many different levels of ems certs out and it should be narrowed down. But not everyone needs to go into nursing. Yes It's a good career for some but not for all. I have several friends who are nurses and also medics. There is a place for both in the health industry but it just seems like every time you post something its negative about the ems field. If you don't like it stay out of it.. It's that simple

reaper

Working Bum
Sorry, The Intermediate level is useless and needs to be done away with, especially in SC. It should never be a requirement for advancement to Paramedic!

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
Sorry, The Intermediate level is useless and needs to be done away with, especially in SC. It should never be a requirement for advancement to Paramedic!

that may be true but does anyone know whats going to happen to the I's when the change takes effect? Will they have to take classes to get their P or will they be reduced to a B?

mississippimedic

Forum Crew Member
I'm not 100% sure but I think remember reading that the I's can do some class room hours and become P's. Don't remember the exact requirements though. Also seems like one level of I is gonna be eliminated.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief

10 char

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
I find the paramedic level even, to be woefully inadequate.

I think it's a real shame.

Now I am not totally against an "intermediate" level of skill; Australia uses them to good effect .... how do I put this nicely, um, I am just against your intermediate level!

Our intermediate level (which we call Paramedic and from 2012 will have a Bachelors Degree) has the following:

- GTN
- Salbutamol
- IM Glucagon
- Aspirin
- Ondansteron IV and PO
- Paracetamol PO
- IV Glucose 10%
- IV fluid
- Adrenaline neb, IM and IV
- Morphine IV
- Naloxone IM, IV and IN
- Cardioversion
- 12 lead ECG
- Manual defibrillation

One service has amiodarone for arrests, ceftriaxone IM and midazolam IM or IN for seizures and these will probably end up in our new national scope of practice; midazolam at least anyway.

JCampbell

Forum Crew Member
X100
#1 reason I try to stay the hell away from this site. You know it seems to me that it takes around 5 minutes to read and make a post. So at 5700 posts thats close to 500 hours spent telling people how crappy their jobs are instead of spending that time continuing your own education. Oh, and another thing...NOBODY gives a flying crap what is done down under.

Last edited by a moderator:

reaper

Working Bum
X100
#1 reason I try to stay the hell away from this site. You know it seems to me that it takes around 5 minutes to read and make a post. So at 5700 posts thats close to 500 hours spent telling people how crappy their jobs are instead of spending that time continuing your own education. Oh, and another thing...NOBODY gives a flying crap what is done down under.

You really need to learn about the industry, before jumping on someone else. The Intermediate level is a very bad thing. In SC it is useless, as they cannot do much more then a basic.

Those of us that are in EMS as a career (not just Rn's), are very happy that the NREMT is trying to straighten out the mess of EMS in the US. Yes, a lot of us do care what happens "Down Under" and every where else in the world. That is how EMS evolves!

No offense, but you work for the worst company in the state. You have not experienced EMS yet. So take the effort to learn from those that have done it. Anyone that does not listen to those that have come before them, just does not have what it takes to make a long career in this field. You have posted some good posts and I think you will make it. But, take the time to learn from others. All over the world.

Vent may rub people the wrong way. But, she has a lot of experience and a vast knowledge of the job. She is passionate about EMS becoming a true medical field. That makes some people mad. They just want it to stay the way it is. That will not happen. I have seen more change in the last 5 years, then I ever saw in the previous 11. Change is coming and it will be for the better!

mct601

RN/NRP
You really need to learn about the industry, before jumping on someone else. The Intermediate level is a very bad thing. In SC it is useless, as they cannot do much more then a basic.

Those of us that are in EMS as a career (not just Rn's), are very happy that the NREMT is trying to straighten out the mess of EMS in the US. Yes, a lot of us do care what happens "Down Under" and every where else in the world. That is how EMS evolves!

No offense, but you work for the worst company in the state. You have not experienced EMS yet. So take the effort to learn from those that have done it. Anyone that does not listen to those that have come before them, just does not have what it takes to make a long career in this field. You have posted some good posts and I think you will make it. But, take the time to learn from others. All over the world.

Vent may rub people the wrong way. But, she has a lot of experience and a vast knowledge of the job. She is passionate about EMS becoming a true medical field. That makes some people mad. They just want it to stay the way it is. That will not happen. I have seen more change in the last 5 years, then I ever saw in the previous 11. Change is coming and it will be for the better!

I have only been following EMS closely for a year now. when you say true medical field, can you give me some examples of how it can move into that direction from where it is now?

And if Aussie 'intermediates' can do so much, what is their upper levels of EMS capable of?

JCampbell

Forum Crew Member

Ok here's what I mean. First off the OP just wanted to start a thread about meeting and greeting other EMT-I students. Then immediately someone jumps into a thread she has absolutely no business being involved in and states her well known opinion about different levels of EMS. That's abrasive, and asking for a flame war. Totally uncalled for. Heck, I'm sure a lot of MD's look at RN's as hacks that couldn't get into med school, but that's just their opinion, not always the truth. The emphasis for the EMT-I is to assume more of a leadership role than a Basic. It's not to be "like a Paramedic without the narcs" or anything like that. When you wear the EMT-I patch you are expected to perform at a higher level than a Basic, more thorough patient assessments, more attention to detail, professionalism, and a level of responsibility goes along with the title, not just I.V. starts and Combi-Tubes. There is nothing useless about continuing education and having someone on your truck who has been instilled with a greater sense of responsibility than he may have been in basic class. A lot of people, like me, are taking the class not as an end to a career, but as a step along the way. Paramedic class doesn't start for a while and I like to take every opportunity to learn and advance in this field in the meantime. Extra income earned as an EMT-I while attending Paramedic class won't hurt either. I am also fully aware of our past and of our future, both my instructors have been EMT-Ps since the 70's and make sure we are aware, besides the first chapter in both textbooks deals with the subject. I also understand that things are done differently in other countries, how could I not when every freaking post has some kiwi chiming in with "you yanks suck at your job, we're so much better over here." Bottom line is that this thread is about people in EMT-I school talking to each other. Period. So if you don't fall into that category then kindly stay out. Thanks.

JCampbell

Forum Crew Member
And another thing, what does who I currently work for have to do with ANYTHING? I expect more from you than that. This job was temporary while I got my Basic certs and now that's happened I plan to move on, but no matter where you work, YOU ALONE decide what your level of performance will be, if it ever is diluted by the yahoos around you, then you are acting in an un-professional manner and are then no better than they are. I can assure you that I take this job seriously no matter who's name is on the side of the truck, MY name is on my uniform.

reaper

Working Bum
And another thing, what does who I currently work for have to do with ANYTHING? I expect more from you than that. This job was temporary while I got my Basic certs and now that's happened I plan to move on, but no matter where you work, YOU ALONE decide what your level of performance will be, if it ever is diluted by the yahoos around you, then you are acting in an un-professional manner and are then no better than they are. I can assure you that I take this job seriously no matter who's name is on the side of the truck, MY name is on my uniform.

Who you work for does matter, if that is all the experience you have ever had. You are seeing the worst and you will pick up bad habits, even if you don't think you will. I am glad you are looking elsewhere. A good work environment can greatly affect the care that you provide and the experience you gain.

8jimi8

CFRN

Vent- why is it always such a pedantic condescending tone from you? It isn't like they just say here's a tube shove it in there.

My EMT-I book has a 66 page chapter for airway management. I realize there are probably entire BOOKS on airway management, but do you expect that every single person who is working on their intermediate is not going to continue on to get their paramedic? You already have your way... intermediate is going away and all the intermediates will be forced to up or downgrade. Why do you have to interrupt every stream of thought with your preference that we get no experience at all during our course of education?

can you just write out a rant for us to sticky at the top of every forum, so that we can discuss without being chastised for being interested and even taking a class to learn in the first place?

Typically I enjoy your informative posts, but tell me what does your comment lend to this thread? Is it relevant to the original post?