EMT hiring process

dslprod

Forum Crew Member
some times when i browse the hiring process for EMT's they say they do a "background check" and sometimes they say "background investigation", is there a difference?

any info would be helpful thanks.

Hastings

Noobie
some times when i browse the hiring process for EMT's they say they do a "background check" and sometimes they say "background investigation", is there a difference?

any info would be helpful thanks.

Same thing.

Something in your past worrying you?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I had 2 speeding tickets 3 and 6 years prior to hire. How long did these tickets occur?

OP
OP
D

dslprod

Forum Crew Member
I had 2 speeding tickets 3 and 6 years prior to hire. How long did these tickets occur?

was cited for speeding in Feb 2008 and the other citiation i got was in 2005. ok now i feel a little worried bec i know we should have a clean driving record prior to applying.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
well don't think your can't get hired. Put an application in and be honest about the tickets. Take a defensive driving class before application.

Hastings

Noobie
You're right, you should have a clean driving record.

That being said however, two speeding tickets isn't going to kill you. In fact, probably wont even hurt you. Not like driving under the influence, smashing into other cars, or - God forbid - assault will.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Just remember, assault isn't as bad as -God forbid- assault. :sad:

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Like others said, be up front and honest about it. It is a shame but some services won't hire you. I had to fight to get hired at my service because I had a speeding ticket 3 years ago for 19 over and another for 14 over in the same week. However this was three years ago and I feel like I've demonstrated I have matured by not getting a single moving violation in 3 years (I was a teenager when I got those tickets). This was back in Jan and it's been even longer now, we're coming up on 4 years since those tickets but when I was applying to services in Jan I had three services completely turn me down for employment based on that fact alone.

I finally found a service that was willing to overlook them because of how long ago they occurred. Also what is the severity of the tickets?

Code 3

Forum Captain
was cited for speeding in Feb 2008 and the other citiation i got was in 2005. ok now i feel a little worried bec i know we should have a clean driving record prior to applying.

Some companies request a 10-year driving record when you apply (DMV H-6 report in California). Also, check with your state DMV to see how long driving citations last. In California, a citation will stay on your record for 3 years.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
In most states you can get a copy of your driving abstract before filling out the employment app. That way you see what they are going to see. It stops you from being open and honest about something that they weren't going to see.