Emt-d

EMS25

Forum Crew Member
Recently I hear a lot about EMT-D. I couldn't find anything online about it. Does anybody know about this? Is this a real cert?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Technically speaking (as in statute), the only three levels in California is the EMT-1 ("EMT-I", aka EMT-Basic), EMT-2 ("EMT-II," aka EMT-Intermediate), and EMT-P. Some counties have the defib optional local scope of practice option that allows EMT-Bs to do manual defibrillation under direct supervision by an EMT-II, EMT-P, RN, or physician. The local counties sometimes call the EMT-Bs who have been certified in the local optional scope of practice as "EMT-Defibrillators."

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Back in the day (1989) that was was my first cert upgrade in Connecticut. We took a course on rhythm analysis, maybe 20 hours, and we became EMT-D certified. The monitor we had to use was a Lifepack 5 with the cassette recorder module. Huge. Weighed a ton. Batteries always died.

Now, this was before AEDs, so I guess it got electricity out on the street sooner. I did shock several VF codes. ROSC? Not so much.

Now with AEDs everywhere, it seems like a moot point. :)

I think I may still have my CT EMT-D pin somewhere.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
At one point, New Jersey EMT-Bs who were trained in using an AED were identified as EMT-Ds. They wore the same patch, but under the big EMT it said "Defibrillation" in red letters. You still see them kicking around, and the statute still refers to EMT-Ds and FR-Ds, even though neither level exists anymore (NJ OEMS no longer certifies first responders).

Anyway, it's dependent on what state you're in as to whether that's a valid cert or not. I'm not aware of any states that still have it, but who knows.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Way back in the day the EMT-Defibrillator was a level that allowed EMT-Bs to defib manually.

This was really a stop-gap measure because AEDs weren't round (talkin like the 80s here) and defib was an ALS only skill.

Washington state had the EMT-D level back in the eighties where you could manually defib VF (but not VT) up to eight times. One of my colleagues has an old book on it.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Looking into it further, it also looks like it's used as a designation for EMT-Bs working with for an "AED service provider." If an agency isn't licensed as an "AED service provider," then they aren't allowed to carry an AED on the ambulance. I just found the following memo from Kern County LEMSA that kinda of sheds a sad light on the current state of California's EMS regulations.

http://www.co.kern.ca.us/ems/defibclarification.pdf