EMT credits for a degree?

nkfarwell

Forum Ride Along
Hey there, I'm currently a student of a paramedic program at a community college. I need to take a total of 60 EMT term credits, and I want to pursue a degree following getting my paramedic. Can I use these credits for another degree, even as elective credits? More specifically, should I decide to enter a BSN program, can I use some of my EMT credits as substitute for some nursing classes? Thank you.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Paramedic/EMT credit hours are going to count as lower division elective credit in other degree programs.

Thus, you can't used Paramedic as substitution for upper division or RN classes in a BSN program. There are a few "paramedic to BSN" programs advertised, but what they usually give you is gen-ed credit as already described. In a few exceptional cases, they'll give you a whopping 3-6 nursing credits, not enough to make a program attractive for that.

Certainly no reason to do paramedic as a way to shortcut entry into nursing.

Do paramedic to be a paramedic. If you want to be a nurse, go straight for your BSN. If both, it is far easier to go from nurse to medic.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Today is my first day of nursing school and I couldn't

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Can I use these credits for another degree, even as elective credits? More specifically, should I decide to enter a BSN program, can I use some of my EMT credits as substitute for some nursing classes? Thank you.
Two separate questions:

1) Yes, you may be able to use some of your EMS credits towards a bachelor's degree. Typically, they'll count as "lower-division" courses. However, this may vary by institution.

2) The latter seems unlikely to me - EMS and nursing are different disciplines with different standards. Perhaps an A&P class might transfer...but I don't think, say, "Cardiology For Paramedics" would satisfy any nursing requirements.

OP
OP
N

nkfarwell

Forum Ride Along
Alright, that all makes sense. I've been pursuing paramedicine because I'm interested in ES, but into my EMT classes I'm not sure it's something I want to do long term. I'll finish my certification before making a decision (probably try working as an EMT as well). Looks like I might have to more seriously consider moving to a nursing track sooner. Thanks for the information!

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Colleges tend to lean away from giving credits for being an EMT, since it is a profession, and your looking to get an education, dumb in my opinion, but thats how they do their thing.