EMT Cert Renewal

eman00

Forum Crew Member
I'm an EMT in California and need to renew my cert by the end of April. When I renewed my cert back in 2010, they were in the process of transitioning everyone from a county registry to the new state registry, so when I recieved my new EMT card, I had my new state registry number, but had the county EMT card (I go to Orange County EMS). I still need to do my 24 hours of CEs, but I am not sure if I can do all 24 hours of CEs online, or is there a limit to online CEs (such as maxium of 12 hours of CEs online, and the rest need to be instructor based)? I am not familar with the state EMT renewal requirements. Any help would be much appricated, thanks.

**Sidenote: I am not NREMT certified; when I certified as an EMT, it was back in 2005, before NREMT was required.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
did you check the OC EMS website? google search for "orange county ems emt recert" and the * surprise* very first entry is Orange County EMS's webpage for EMTs looking for information about recerting. On said webpage's left hand column is a tab titled "Continuing Education". If you click on this tab, you will learn that if you forgo the traditional 24 hour refresher course, you can fulfill half of your CEs with non-instructor based hours, and that you cannot submit 12 hours of online education completed on the same day.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief