EMT-Basic to RN.

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
I would understand EMT-P to RN. Theres a number of programs out there designed just for that.

LPN would be a definite step backwards from EMT-P.

That's what I was told by my buddy who is doing the EMT>Medic>[LPN]>RN route. He said there was a short bridge course from Medic to LPN, then another bridge course from LPN-RN but I was aware of the local Community Colleges that accept Medics into their nursing program, provided they've completed the pre-reqs. I think they get to skip 1-2 semesters because of their experience.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
You can go from EMT>Medic>LPN>RN from what I have heard. A buddy of mine is in the medic stage of this transition.

Waste of time...why go through an additonal three years?

R/r 911

emt 92591

Forum Probie
emt 92591, just curious, but why not take the money you are going to invest in EMT-B, medic and LPN school (not to mention all the hours you are going to put in as well) and just apply it all to going for your BSN?

I am not trying to be mean or anything, but it just seems to me that if you want to be a nurse that there are better paths to take to get there.

It just seems like there are so many people that get into EMS because they want to do some other job "in the end". How many times do you hear someone say they are going to be a cop and then go to law school, or that they are going to groom dogs before going to beauty school? Maybe people will start out working as a Maytag repair guy on their way to becoming a brain surgeon? People typically decide to work as a cop, attorney, dog groomer, or beautician because that is the job they want to do, not because they want to do something else. And as for the person that decides to be a repair guy to ultimately be a surgeon, there really isn't much about the first job that will help you out in the second job. Yes, in both jobs you are "fixing" something/someone, but that is pretty much where the similarity ends. Sort of like EMS and nursing are both medical professions, but are two completely different worlds.

I guess I just wish that people would quit looking at EMS as "something to do while I become something else" and realize it is a profession that needs dedicated people who want to be here for the long haul. (Ok, off my soapbox now.)

Well Epi i am personally going to maybe do this ok,EMT-b 6yrs,EMT-p 6yrs,Then Maybe Flight RN Or Medic And then maybe nursing! if this explains it any better.

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
Waste of time...why go through an additonal three years?

R/r 911

As I said in my previous posts-

Wait times for nursing schools here in the Valley are in upwards of 1 year. This means an associates in nursing can take 3-4 years. BSN's aren't any better. ASU admitted 180 out of 360 applicants last semester.

My point is instead of waiting, why not get the medic classes out of the way and jump straight into the nursing program when you're done, (I think you can skip the first semester) assuming all pre-reqs are complete.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

Wait times for nursing schools here in the Valley are in upwards of 1 year. This means an associates in nursing can take 3-4 years. BSN's aren't any better. ASU admitted 180 out of 360 applicants last semester.

My point is instead of waiting, why not get the medic classes out of the way and jump straight into the nursing program when you're done, (I think you can skip the first semester) assuming all prereqs are complete.

It is alike that everywhere. Nursing schools purposefully limit the number of students for several reasons. Mainly, lack of educators. It is a myth that ADN only takes two years to obtain, in reality three years is the minimum and most of the time a BSN is usually five years and a MSN is three additional years in most cases.

Most Paramedic schools at this time does not require pre-entry level courses, but I believe we will soon see this in EMS as well. As the profession changes.

R/r 911

firecoins

IFT Puppet
My point is instead of waiting, why not get the medic classes out of the way and jump straight into the nursing program when you're done, (I think you can skip the first semester) assuming all pre-reqs are complete.

If it fits you schedule, go for it.

Kazz

Forum Probie
I too am starting nursing school this fall! However there was a waiting list for the full-time study for RN, so they have reserved me a slot in their evening classes part time. sure it will take me another year, but at least im in the door.

Can anyone let me know how much base pay I should be looking at with an R.N. vrs. a B.S.N?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Funny thing is that it doesn't...that's why I'm attempting my BSN.

than you got your answer. Alot of EMT-Bs who have RNs can challange the NR exam. Your better off that way.

rmellish

Forum Captain

50% isnt bad. I'm looking at 50 out of 500 for my program. Thats 10%.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Can anyone let me know how much base pay I should be looking at with an R.N. vrs. a B.S.N?

It all depends. Majority of the hospitals do not have pay differential between the two. Now, with that said, most hospitals require you to have a BSN before one is able to hold a management or supervisor title. Thus very little career ladder without it. This your pay raise. The one's I have usually seen is between 25- 35 cents an hour difference.

R/r 911

Kazz

Forum Probie
Ic. interesting. My plan is to get my RN, then get my BSN and work my way up to NP. I figured if I get my RN first, and something happens in life where i cant stay in school, I have something to fall back on.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Ic. interesting. My plan is to get my RN, then get my BSN and work my way up to NP. I figured if I get my RN first, and something happens in life where i cant stay in school, I have something to fall back on.

Although an honorable way, please take it from someone whom went that route to do differently. It is much harder and time consuming, if I had it to do all over again, I would go get my BSN one time, and then go NP. Much cheaper and a lot less time. You will make up the loss, the first year.

Good luck!

R/r 911

Kazz

Forum Probie
Thanks R/r for your insite! I plan on taking that route you have except modified., but im going to a 2 year school for my RN then transfering to get my bsn!

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
50% isnt bad. I'm looking at 50 out of 500 for my program. Thats 10%.

But what's that based on? First come first serve? or GPA? ASU goes by a "select GPA"- that is, 17 of your top classes, including 3 out of the 4 lab sciences, accounts for up to 4.0 of the GPA.

The NET counts for up to 3.0, 1.0 for reading, 1.0 for math, and 1.0 for the essay.

That makes a 7.0 the top score... the lowest score advanced in Spring '08 was a 6.28. That makes it very tough for some of us who aren't A students.

Kazz

Forum Probie
my cousin goes to ASU.. actually 2 of my cousins do. Im supposed to go out and visit sometime...

anyway... yeah I have to take night classes instead of being full time because of waiting lists. I figured at least im getting my RN even if it takes an extra semeseter.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Thanks R/r for your insite! I plan on taking that route you have except modified., but im going to a 2 year school for my RN then transfering to get my bsn!
That is my plan, too.