EMT-B vs. EMT-A

frdude1000

Forum Captain
Hello Everyone. Before I became involved in EMS, there was a certification called EMT-A, at least in Maryland there was. What was its scope of practice? How does it compare to the EMT-B, First responder? Why did we abandon it and change to EMT-B?

rmellish

Forum Captain
As an Advanced in Indiana, I can say that the AEMT cert is a high level of care than EMT-B. AEMT became far less popular as paramedics, true ALS, became more available and thus less expensive than they had been previously.

Indiana is slowly phasing the certification out by putting in place strict requirements to be approved to teach an advanced course. I wouldn't expect the cert to last more than 5-6 more years here, the way things are moving.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
In the older days EMT-A stood for EMT Ambulance, not EMT Advanced. Even NREMT classified as such. Before one could obtain a patch, you would have to have at the least 6 months Ambulance experience. The rocker (like the EMT/I) had the wording Ambulance. It was an honor to have the ambulance rocker, demonstrating you had experience.

R/r 911

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
And if you turn on the Way Back Machine, EMT-A used to stand for EMT-Ambulance....

OP
OP
frdude1000

frdude1000

Forum Captain
Ok I understand what it means, but how is it different from emt-b?

rmellish

Forum Captain
In the older days EMT-A stood for EMT Ambulance, not EMT Advanced. Even NREMT classified as such. Before one could obtain a patch, you would have to have at the least 6 months Ambulance experience. The rocker (like the EMT/I) had the wording Ambulance. It was an honor to have the ambulance rocker, demonstrating you had experience.

R/r 911

And, I stand corrected....

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Ok I understand what it means, but how is it different from emt-b?

All were considered basics but those without ambulance were considered just EMT's. With the modification of EMT standards, NREMT dropped the rating and lumped them altogether.
There is no difference in Basic EMT, EMT/B etc. Starting this year NHTSA official titles will be EMT, EMT Advanced, and Paramedic without the EMT wording.

Wee-EMT

Forum Lieutenant
I'm an EMT-A up here in the cold north, Which is like being an EMT/I in the states. Ours stands for EMT-Ambulance.

EMR=EMT/B, EMT-A=EMT/I, and then Paramedic. EMR's (EMT-B's) can not get work in the city.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
And if you turn on the Way Back Machine, EMT-A used to stand for EMT-Ambulance....

peabody.jpg

Bosco578

Forum Captain
I'm an EMT-A up here in the cold north, Which is like being an EMT/I in the states. Ours stands for EMT-Ambulance.

EMR=EMT/B, EMT-A=EMT/I, and then Paramedic. EMR's (EMT-B's) can not get work in the city.

Are you not an EMT student?

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief

I thought Edmonton fire was requiring their fire recruits to be EMR's.

jochi1543

Forum Captain

They don't call us EMT-As anymore, just EMTs.

I wish we'd finally take on the same titles as the rest of the country (primary/advanced/critical care paramedic).

jochi1543

Forum Captain
That change will probably happen.

Would be nice, I find that most people don't even know what an EMT is, and I don't want to misrepresent myself by saying I'm a paramedic (like one of my classmates who said he was "going to medical school" :rolleyes:), so it always comes down to something like, "Well, I work for the ambulance..." "Oh, you are an ambulance driver!? That's so awesome" "....." LOL.

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
We hire EMR's here in the "True Northern Alberta". EMR/Emt= BLS....EMT/Paramedic=ALS. we even have some crews that are EMR/EMR. And, EMT-B is actually just a touch higher than EMR. When I did my equivelancy, all I needed was 12-1 skills and gap training. I actually (at the time) had learned more than EMR's learn in Alberta. The nice thing about the requirements in Alberta to achieve the level of EMT or Paramedic, is that it builds on each level. As opposed to simply going into Paramedic school with no experience or foundation.

jochi1543

Forum Captain
We hire EMR's here in the "True Northern Alberta". EMR/Emt= BLS....EMT/Paramedic=ALS. we even have some crews that are EMR/EMR. And, EMT-B is actually just a touch higher than EMR.

Really? I haven't looked too much into it, but I remember reading on this forum that EMT-Bs can't even do BGL testing, at least in some states...

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
We original EMT-A's used to paint our faces and shake rattles...

In Nebraska when I got mine (1977-78) just needed to pass the basic class (one semester at Metro Technical College, Omaha), and a shift clinical in an ER (mine was at the old red brick St Joseph/Creighton hospital on the bluffs). That got you the state EMT-A, IAW Dept of Transportation (not NREMT). To work in Lincoln you had to get a city license also. No rockers or anything, just painted A or P on our foreheads with berry juice.