EMT-B to Paramedic vs. Fire (in FL)

Happycoop

Forum Probie
Starting my EMT-B course next week, and I'm looking at where to go next in terms of education. My initial plan was EMT to Paramedic (and I have already applied and tentatively received acceptance to the medic course starting shortly after my EMT finishes). I've been looking at jobs in my area of FL, and it seems most calls are done through Fire Rescue units. This has me wondering, should I be looking into a basic fire cert in order to be employable?

If it matters, my background includes: US Army (West Point), BS (psychology) and MA (exercise physiology) degrees, and several years working in the corporate world before deciding to follow my passion for emergency medicine. I've spent a couple years as a CNA in the ER, but realized that I want to be out in the field versus sitting in the hospital setting.

I have searched, and the results are helpful...just hoping for some specific feedback from the folks who have been down this path already.

Coop

CFal

Forum Captain
Usually FD trains you, but if you already have FFI or II you get points towards being hired

OP
OP
H

Happycoop

Forum Probie
Thanks for the quick reply.

In that case, does the process go: apply to the FD, get accepted, and then attend training prior to starting work? I assumed the ability to get hired without the cert was zero, but that would be great if I'm incorrect.

brian328

Forum Crew Member
it really depends on where you want to work. some departments do not require you to be FF certified before you are hired, while some do require you to be FF certified. some departments don't care if you have your FF cert as long as you are a medic. some require nothing (they do all the training). i would look online at some departments you are interested in working for. it definitely does not hurt to get your fire and medic certs done before being hired..

also, your background will help A LOT with the hiring process of the fire dept. not only will you get bonus points for your military service, it will also look good that you have college degrees. a lot of departments won't hire somebody over 35, so if you are getting close to that, i would get started with applications.

CFal

Forum Captain
Pretty much, I know some departments only hire people with certs already but they are by no means the majority. The applications I've seen lately have clearly stated the hiring process as written test = max of x amount of points, interview = max x amount of points, veterans = x points, medic = x points, FFI = x points, FFII = x, degree = x points. The more points you have the more likely you are to get hired. One hired you typically go through a recruit training class then a probationary period. Your military experience will definably help.

OP
OP
H

Happycoop

Forum Probie
Thanks for the helpful feedback. As a result, I'll be making the rounds to the local rescue stations today to get each unit's specific hiring policies.

Again, I appreciate it!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It all depends on specific departments. In many cases, even if you're a certified firefighter, you'll still be required to attend a basic firefighter recruit academy, where you'll be treated as though you know nothing. You may also be required to retake an accelerated EMT class, even though you're already certified.

As you'll learn when you move through the hiring process, the fact that you have a degree is important, not the actual degree itself. Your prior experience will be considered (and praised) when you're in the interview process, but it will have no bearing on your actual position. Everyone starts at the bottom. So, for the sake of a fire job, it's the fact that you possess the paper, not what you learned in your degree process.

Most fire jobs are a numbers game. If you really want to get the lowdown on how to get hired, Chief Paul Lepore has written a few books that help with tips on maximizing application points and how to navigate the oral boards/interviews. Worth the read, as they spell out in detail the steps you should take to make yourself an attractive candidate in a crowded job market.

toxik153

Forum Probie
If you're here in FL and in my area of South FL than just get your emt and medics first. It is very difficult to get hired around here with just Fire/EMT.

Also, don't just do it to get hired, do it because you want to.Too many people I have met all did medics just to get hired in the FD. Over 70% of the calls down here are medical related, non-fire calls. They are never happy at work.

OP
OP
H

Happycoop

Forum Probie
toxik153,

I'm in the Lakewood Ranch area of FL (Bradenton, Sarasota). I would prefer to only to medical related calls; I was only looking at getting the fire cert as I thought it was needed in order to be hired. I stopped by one station and the guy told me they won't hire an emt/medic unless they also are certified to respond to fire calls. Sounds like I need to continue speaking to different stations so I can get a clear picture of what's needed.

toxik153

Forum Probie
Happy,

I would prefer the same man. I really enjoy medicine, especially ems. It's different to all regions here in FL. I know there are several areas where EMS and Fire are separated, that's where my applications go :) But, I know i'llhave to get my fire cert later after I finish medic school. I also enjoy the fire service too, but it's not my #1 spot.