EMT-b Santa Cruz

Drewt78

Forum Ride Along
Hey everybody! I am new and an EMT student right now. Actually I am taking the class through my high school. So when I graduate I will be a licensed basic. I do plan to go to college right after high school, but want to work as an EMT during school. I hope to go to UC Santa Cruz, but I was doing some looking around and is seems like they only have ALS ambulances. They use AMR as their provider, I couldn't find any alternatives. So what's their deal? Can I work with them and if so is it just transfers (something I can't live with), or are there no jobs for basics around the area? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
If you're looking for 911 work as an EMT in Santa Cruz, my suspicion is that you're SOL there. The last time I seriously looked at that area, the EMS agency there had a requirement that all 911 ambulances be dual-paramedic staffed. Unfortunately, I do not know the non-911 system there all that well so I hope that you'll be able to find a transport job as an EMT. It will easily be mind-numbing but if you're lucky enough to land such a job (anywhere really) you should spend time reading the H&P or Discharge Summary for each patient you get, as long as they include that stuff in the transfer packet.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Akulahawk is correct. They are dual medic only. I am not sure if they even do any BLS IFT.

Central (or Gold?) Coast Ambulance does BLS IFT there I think.

Although you will either live in or go to school in Santa Cruz County, you could consider a job outside of that county. A lot of people actually don't live in the county they work in. I don't. Don't limit your options.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
If you cant live with just doing transfers as a new basic then you aee probably going to have issues.
Your she might be another issue, since people under 21 can be hard for a provider to insure, and therefore be hired

DPM

Forum Captain
Central Coast does BLS IFT work in Santa Cruz, but it's low call volume.

AMR Montery county (In Marina) or Rural / Metro Santa Clara County are your closest 911 systems that hire basics. R/M also has a large IFT division in Milpitas. Feel free to PM me for more info, I in Milpitas and Marina.

EMT2015

Forum Captain
AMR Montery county (In Marina) or Rural / Metro Santa Clara County are your closest 911 systems that hire basics. R/M also has a large IFT division in Milpitas. Feel free to PM me for more info, I in Milpitas and Marina.

Well now, Rural/Metro is now going to be AMR! Is it hard to get on as a basic on Santa Clara County's 9111 system?

DPM

Forum Captain
Well now, Rural/Metro is now going to be AMR! Is it hard to get on as a basic on Santa Clara County's 9111 system?
I'd recommend the IFT gig to anyone starting out in this area. The company has it's issues (they all do..) but I found the people were pretty decent and the work was easy.

EMT2015

Forum Captain
I'd recommend the IFT gig to anyone starting out in this area. The company has it's issues (they all do..) but I found the people were pretty decent and the work was easy.
Yeah the IFT side is hiring like crazy right now. My only issue is the pay that they were offering last year, that's why i turned it down.

DPM

Forum Captain
Yeah, the pay is bad... I've heard that you get preferential hiring at the 911 side if you stick it out for a year.

EMT2015

Forum Captain
Yeah, I was going to be paid $11.75.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Yeah, I was going to be paid $11.75.
Back when I got started, they were paying Basics around $9-10/hr. Considering that most places paid near minimum wage ($6.75/hr), that was great wages for a Basic. I figure that if you're getting paid more than a new hire at In & Out, then you're doing well as a Basic.

EMT2015

Forum Captain
figure that if you're getting paid more than a new hire at In & Out, then you're doing well as a Basic.
At my current job, I'm making $10.30 an hour plus tips which can lead up to easily $100 bucks a week in cash. I was and still kinda am better off at my job than I would be with a EMT basic job.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
I went to UCSC and worked in Monterey County (driver on the ALS units). AMR at the time, not sure about now; at that point the contract was bouncing around.

DPM

Forum Captain
I went to UCSC and worked in Monterey County (driver on the ALS units). AMR at the time, not sure about now; at that point the contract was bouncing around.

Back around 2004 it briefly went to Westmed... who promptly lost all their money and went bankrupt, but it's been back to AMR for maybe 8 years now.