EMT-B Practical Test in the Morning

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Yes, it may be a useless thread, but my EMT-B Practical Test is in the morning. I'm fairly nervous about it, so any tips, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Eric

emt_irl

Forum Captain
dont forget request als!!!! and keep calm about it all

dmc2007

Forum Captain
Relax. Don't psych yourself out thinking you're gonna mess up. I'm sure you've practiced and reviewed the assessment process enough to the point where you know it. Just relax, and take it step by step. Don't want to miss something stupid like BSI or General Impression because you're already thinking about the Focused Physical.

Good luck!

EMSBLONDIE24

Forum Probie
The test really isn't hard, just think logically. What do you do when you first arrive on scene? Scene safety, BSI, etc. A lot of questions revolve around what order things are done, remember the basics always come first. Same applies to airway, trauma etc.
Otherwise take a deep breath and relax, you'll do fine!

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Yes, it may be a useless thread, but my EMT-B Practical Test is in the morning. I'm fairly nervous about it, so any tips, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Keep your nose out of the book tonight; sit back and crack a cold one, see a movie, watch the tube, whatever. Plenty of sleep, light breakfast, relax.

trevor1189

Forum Captain
BSI, Scene Safety, # of Pts, Additional Resources, General Impression (Airway, Breathing, Circulation, Level of Consciousness, Gross Bleeding/Trauma), fix them as you find them

Guardian Angel

Forum Probie
Medichopeful,

How did you do today? I also took my practical today....boy was I stressing it!!! I think I passed, but, not sure. Just have to wait for my 'postcard' :)

281mustang

Forum Lieutenant
Did you not have a copy of the grade sheet? It pretty much list the entire process for you, there isn't a whole lot of guess work involved.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Medichopeful,

How did you do today? I also took my practical today....boy was I stressing it!!! I think I passed, but, not sure. Just have to wait for my 'postcard' :)

I think I did pretty well. Same thing goes for me. I think I passed, but no way to know for sure. The test was actually a lot easier than I thought.

Do you mind if I asked where you took your test?

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
i know When Seconds Count on the north shore had one yesterday.

I'm just wondering whether or not she took it at Westfield State College. Could be small world!

But probably not :p

Guardian Angel

Forum Probie
I did mine through 'When Seconds Count'. What a long day!!!!!!! I think I passed. ??? I did have to repeat station 1/ cpr...I only did 4 sets of compressions instead of 5 before I utilized the AED. I know I did it right the second time, but, the examiner asked me a couple of questions near the end...can't even remember what they were. I was so 'mushed mouthed' I am not even sure I answered correctly! Nerves Suck...lol Oh well, It sounds like you probably did pass. I wish you luck!

nemedic

Forum Captain
I took mine through When Seconds Count back last June. At least you know for sure you passed 3 stations. i just went home, and had to wait the 6 weeks for the card in the mail. if you did ok on the tests in class, the written and NREMT if you take that too will be a cakewalk. At least the high school wouldn't be as hot.

Last edited by a moderator:

joeshmoe

Forum Lieutenant
You werent able to find out if you passed after you were done with all your stations?

We did our NREMT practicals and school written exam on the same day, and although we werent allowed to look at our practical grade sheets, after we did our required stations anyone who failed was informed at some point before the day was done, and I think got a chance to retry once so long as time permitted and they didnt fail more than 2 stations.

If we passed both we were then authorized to take the NREMT written(computerized) test.

That has to suck waiting to get your results in the mail.

nemedic

Forum Captain
4-6 weeks? We found out same day...

true.......but I'm willing to bet that you didn't take your test in the Democratic People's Republic of Mass. For the written portion, I found out in about 90 seconds (the time it took me to log off of the computer and walk over to the proctor). It took EXACTLY 5 weeks 6 days (and if you really want to know, i can give hours/minutes). Reason that I know this so precisely is that my current job pays $1 more/hour for emt's.

As for NREMT, I can only speak for the written portion, which I received the results the next morning. Reason being is that if you completed a DOT 1994 curriculum approved course, they send an email to the school's program director to confirm psychomotor skills competency, which will substitute the NREMT practical portion.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoadZOmbie

Forum Crew Member
I'll be starting ciemt either in 3/5 or 4/31. What exactly does the nremt test consist of? Is it written or is it a scenario based exam where an instructor visually tests as u go along? Hell I'm nervous about the 7 week course, I don't want to imagine how it'll be whe I'm ready for the test lol