EMT-B pay rate?

Matt G.

Forum Probie
Hi..

I will become an EMT-B by the beginning of next year and was wondering what pay rate or average should I negotiate at? I would like to know what the average pay rate would be so I dont undernegoitiate and go too low...

What do you guys think?

disassociative

Forum Captain
Well, I'm not even sure if it can be considered a rate; however:

Here; we have EMT-IV instead of EMT-B(they can do many more procedures: IV therapy, med admin, etc) and they start out at about: $8.10 hr at 911 services.

I would probably dare say, that an EMT-B would get about $6.50 or $7.00 hr.

REMEMBER: Private Services generally pay more than 911 services.

Check with your local ambulance service, they would be more than happy to tell you.

fyrdog

Forum Lieutenant
It all depends where you are. EMT-Bs at AMR in CT they make about $11 to start. Paramedics make from 18 to 28 depending on experience. Believe it or not AMR is one of the better paying services in CT. In January AMR will be paying me more an hour the the fire dept I work for by about 1.50/hour.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Hi..

I will become an EMT-B by the beginning of next year and was wondering what pay rate or average should I negotiate at? I would like to know what the average pay rate would be so I dont undernegoitiate and go too low...

What do you guys think?

Take what you are offered. As there are more EMT's than jobs, you will probably have little room to negotiate........................

OP
OP
M

Matt G.

Forum Probie
Take what you are offered. As there are more EMT's than jobs, you will probably have little room to negotiate........................

Actually, in California they are in need for EMT's. Job range is widely available. That's the point of my question.

6.50/hr!? wow.

I heard between the range of $10 and $14/hr.

N1ESE

Forum Ride Along
Salary.com says EMT's in Northridge, CA earn between $24,000 and $34,000 however the majority seem to fall in between $27,000 and $32,000.

Paramedics in Northridge supposedly make between $32,000 and $52,000 with most falling in between $36,000 and $47,000.

However, I have no clue how accurate their data is.

super_chris

Forum Probie
Yeah, that's totally true. Every EMT that I've talked to that's been hired says the exact same thing.

Actually, in California they are in need for EMT's. Job range is widely available. That's the point of my question.

6.50/hr!? wow.

I heard between the range of $10 and $14/hr.

I know that EMT-Ambulance drivers (working for AMR) in the Riverside area get anywhere between $10-15 an hour.

Don't be picky when talking to whoever's doing the hiring. If you're picky they wont hire you. Take what you can get, then once you get a little seniority bug them for more money or an area closer to home.

Emtgirl21

Forum Lieutenant
My area starts out around 7.20 an hour......if you work nights about 2 bucks more than that.

BBFDMedic28

Forum Crew Member
Here is a nice little phrase to keep in mind: Over worked and underpaid.
In response to your question tough.....most common around here is around 10/ hr

Summit

Critical Crazy
Raw_Peanuts_in_Shell.jpg

emt/ff71185

Forum Probie
Varies greatly here in central IL. My emt-b job pays $12/hour but at my fire department in the same county it's strictly volunteer.

joo

Forum Probie
In Delawre for the most part its anywhere from 11.75 to 15.00, sometimes even 18.00

DAN911

Forum Probie
Here in Quebec, our salary start at 16,74$/hr and stop at 23,35$/hr after 12 years of experience. Plus 4% between 14h00 and 24h00 and 11% between 00h00 and 08h00.

JerzEmt

Forum Probie
Try speaking to your instructors, they should be able to point you in the correct direction.

Getnjgywitit

Forum Probie
Matt, I'm in Califronia as well. From my experience the majority of EMT's start of at just over min/wage. It sucks to say, but there is a reason for that. EMT turn over rate is huge. Most Ambulance companies know that most people don't make a career out of being and EMT and that they need the Box time as EMT to move on to being a Medic or for a resume builder. So most companies pay crap. They can get away with it too because there is some one else that will take the low pay just to gain the experience.

TraumaJunkie

Forum Crew Member
I work just North of Boston. Straight out of EMT class i made 13.00 an hour working for a private company. Heres the website if you want to check out the company www.NSAMBULANCE.com