Emt-B life(jobs) outside of the Ambulance

Zalan

Forum Crew Member
In the area were I live there are 2 level 2 trauma centers. As far as emts(b, i, or p) go there totally different ends of the spectrum. One wont touch emts not even in the ER. However, actually prefers Emts over CNA in the field or Patient Care Techs. Emt can do any position a tech can, but a tech can`t do everything a Emt can.

Just wondering what your experiences have been outside the ambulance as a Emt-b?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I worked as a floor tech for almost a year while a basic. I also floated to the unit and the ED on a regular basis. I loved seeing the varied floors of the hospital, and usually had a good time working there. Depending where in the hospital you were meant you could do different things. I was our hospital IV Tech at night, which is something not many EMT-Bs that worked there got to do.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I worked as a floor tech for almost a year while a basic. I also floated to the unit and the ED on a regular basis. I loved seeing the varied floors of the hospital, and usually had a good time working there. Depending where in the hospital you were meant you could do different things. I was our hospital IV Tech at night, which is something not many EMT-Bs that worked there got to do.

Did the place you worked at offer training to add to your skill set? Was there potential for advancement? Just curious.

EMTchick

Forum Ride Along
As much fun as being on the ambulance was, my heart was in the hospital setting as a tech- (Emergency Room)
I worked night shift and it was awesome. Im an aspiring RN, so being able to work closely with the nurses and doctors rocked my socks.

I got to help with/observe procedures (stitches, removals, placement of PICC lines, tubes, LP's) complete point of care testing (urinalysis, HCG, stool) splint/cast injuries, irrigate/clean/dress wounds, check-in & help triage patients, secretary duties if needed, transport patients to CT,MRI,rooms (if tx is unavailable) stocking/ordering supplies, and plain old customer service.

i just LOVED it. so well rounded. We had crazy busy nights and totally dead nights. I became friends with everyone and anyone.. Xray techs, nurses, docs, admin staff, transporters, supply techs, janitors, lead nurses, CNAs.

I hate that we got moved (us marines)and i had to quit my dream job.

DalmatianRunner28

Forum Ride Along
As much fun as being on the ambulance was, my heart was in the hospital setting as a tech- (Emergency Room)
I worked night shift and it was awesome. Im an aspiring RN, so being able to work closely with the nurses and doctors rocked my socks.

I got to help with/observe procedures (stitches, removals, placement of PICC lines, tubes, LP's) complete point of care testing (urinalysis, HCG, stool) splint/cast injuries, irrigate/clean/dress wounds, check-in & help triage patients, secretary duties if needed, transport patients to CT,MRI,rooms (if tx is unavailable) stocking/ordering supplies, and plain old customer service.

i just LOVED it. so well rounded. We had crazy busy nights and totally dead nights. I became friends with everyone and anyone.. Xray techs, nurses, docs, admin staff, transporters, supply techs, janitors, lead nurses, CNAs.

I hate that we got moved (us marines)and i had to quit my dream job.

Other than your EMT-B status, did you have to get any other certifications to get the hospital job. I'm looking at taking the path you have so far.