Emt b? I-85?

Amelia

You're stuck w/ me now (insert evil laughter here)
Since each state has its own SOP, what makes a difference between a B and 85?

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
You answered it in your first sentence. Also its just AEMT now not 85 I believe. Look at the skill sheets NREMT has on their website.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
All these different EMT levels, names, and training are like Poke'mon cards. There are just so many of them and they are all a little bit different. An EMT-i/85 is gonna usually have more training than an EMT-b and will probably have a slightly bigger scope of practice such as supraglottic airway devices, be able to start intravenous lines, and administer some medications.

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

You answered it in your first sentence. Also its just AEMT now not 85 I believe. Look at the skill sheets NREMT has on their website.
Our state isnt "up to speed" on that. I can intubate, deliver a baby... But not start IVs. Every now and again there is an AEMT course here... I would take it if it were offered. So then 85s and 99s just automatically become AEMTs?

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Our state isnt "up to speed" on that. I can intubate, deliver a baby... But not start IVs. Every now and again there is an AEMT course here... I would take it if it were offered. So then 85s and 99s just automatically become AEMTs?
Wow. I didn't realize some rural states were still allowing EMTs to intubate...Is this still in your local protocols for cardiac arrest or have you begun carrying SGAs of some sort?

In all fairness, an uncomplicated baby delivery is hardly medical at all. Yes, there are certainly many things to watch out for, but from a pre-hospital perspective we simply assist the mother in doing what mothers have been doing for the entire existence of our species and our ancestors before that.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I can intubate, deliver a baby

You can what? As a EMT? Like Chaz said I didn't figure states/ county's allowed EMTs to intubate. As far as a normal childbirth thats pretty much a EMT skill across the country until it becomes a complicated childbirth.

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

Ok, this is my SOP other than the usual CPR. I'm not sure the what the normal B SOP is so stay with me, eh?
Intubate (King or Combi); Vitals, SPO2, Glucose Monitoring; Trauma/Medical Assessment; Pharmacology (i.e. aspirin, glucose, activated charcoal, O2) and assist with Albuterol inhalers (not nebulizers), Nitro, Epi; artificial ventilating (of course); CPAP; AED; 12-lead; airway adjuncts (oro, naso, king or combi as stated before); work with seizures- the usual air, bodily protection, trauma fix if any injury; stroke assessments; treat syncope; treat poisoning; identify abdominal, hematologic and renal emergencies (basically just education on dialysis and flank pain is kidney issues); bleeding and shock (of course); soft tissue trauma, closed and open (including lacerations, punctures, avulsions, amputations, open crush, blast injuries, and high pressure injection injuries, impalement; all burns and electrical injuries; closed and open chest injuries (blunt, penetrating, compression); Occlusive and Flutter Valve Dressings; Musculoskeletal Trauma; Head, Neck, Spine injuries; multisystem trauma; environmental; OB complications to mom and neonate, trauma, BLS on neonate, rape; PEDS and Geriatrics; pts with special challenges (disabilities, autism, cognitive disabilities, deafness, etc- (which I know ALS which will be helpful), HAZMAT, MCI, Incident Management (oh that was SOOO fun! eye roll); vehicle extrication; Terrorism stuff...

but no IVs

that's about the gist of it. I am so sorry that was incredibly boring, but that is what we're doing. I have the feeling that is a bit more than your run-of-the-mill EMT-B, but I could be incredibly wrong.

I'd give you all a beer for reading all of that junk if I could. So just pretend, eh? ;)

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

for the record: I got all of that from my handy-dandy syllabus which I saved for some reason.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
FWIW, intubation refers to placement of an ET Tube. A king or combi is a supraglottic airway, NOT intubation. While an SGA is technically a tube, it's not a TUBE. Get it?

Your skill set seems to be aligned with the standard EMT basic curriculum.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Ahhhh makes more sense now, no you cannot intubate. Also, everything you mentioned is pretty standard for basics, so dont be surprised you are not starting IVs

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

Okie dokie! :) Thank you!

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Intubate (King or Combi); SPO2, Glucose Monitoring; CPAP; 12-lead; airway adjuncts (king or combi as stated before);

Pretty much the things listed above EMT's where I'm at can't do. Some things like 12-lead, SPO2, and glucose EMT's can do under "supervision" of a medic. We can set up CPAP but technically can't administer it. Supraglottic airways and intubation are a medic skill.

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

Yeah- didnt click right away ab he dfferences. Thats my -duh-

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I am just here for comedy...I want to be there when someone says "Ma'am, you cannot deliver that baby as it is not in my scope"! LOL