Emt-b experience?

Backwoods

Forum Crew Member
Hey everyone,
I have read some of the threads on how much experience an EMT should have before going to medic school, but have heard different from some of my teachers/family.

Im in a high school FF-II/EMT vocational class (as well as an explorer), and have the opportunity to take the national registry in november. I plan on joining the local vfd in february when I turn 18. My uncle (a lt. on his dept.) and a few of my instructors say that I should go to medic school the fall after I graduate because of how high my grade was (98%). My question is do you guys feel 7 months would be enough experience before going to medic school, or should I try to get a part time or full time job on a bigger dept. for a year before going to medic school.

Just trying to get a second opinion, thanks in advance for any replies.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Hey everyone,
I have read some of the threads on how much experience an EMT should have before going to medic school, but have heard different from some of my teachers/family.

Im in a high school FF-II/EMT vocational class (as well as an explorer), and have the opportunity to take the national registry in november. I plan on joining the local vfd in february when I turn 18. My uncle (a lt. on his dept.) and a few of my instructors say that I should go to medic school the fall after I graduate because of how high my grade was (98%). My question is do you guys feel 7 months would be enough experience before going to medic school, or should I try to get a part time or full time job on a bigger dept. for a year before going to medic school.

Just trying to get a second opinion, thanks in advance for any replies.

I volunteer with a young lady (also a volunteer) who has been a emt since she was 18 and a paramedic since she was 19. She is now 23 and in nursing school. She is one of the most rock solid medics I've ridden with. I think it all depends on your level of maturity. You have to really look at yourself and decide if you are mature enough to put in the dedication it takes to do paramedic school. At your age I could not have done it, just too much work.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
EMT level thinking does not translate to Paramedic level thinking, contrary to some people's beliefs. Just because you've been an EMT for 15 years doesn't mean you will do better as a medic than someone with no experience.

I got my EMT in December, and started Paramedic in April. I worked part-time for 2 months, only doing transfers, before I started medic school. If you choose a decent Paramedic program, you'll get plenty of ambulance and hospital clinical time.

My advice? Do what you feel comfortable doing.

Last edited by a moderator: