EMT-B class prep tips?

ChanceSterns

Forum Ride Along
i will be taking an EMT-B class in February I was wondering what I could do to prep for the class to help my odds of passing. I took an honors anatomy and physiology class 2 years ago, also I have been driving ambulances for my local volunteer fire dept so I’ve picked up a few things from there as well any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Hey @ChanceSterns, welcome to EMTLIFE!

I've moved this thread to the Education & Training section. There's lots of great information within about those getting ready to start their classes. Give it a look. If you have any specific questions please post them here.

newbierootie0325

Forum Probie
Well speaking from my own experience good EMT saves paramedics. I am a brand new paramedic and I am praying for a great emt. Being new and in class really study your vitals and what good vitals are and bad vitals are. If you are getting irregular vitals understand the anatomy and physiology of why. This will help understand where your advance provider who you will most likely be working with is going with treatment and where you will be greatly helpful. Also simple skills like backboarding and splint treatment will be great to master for registry. Study the cardiac monitor for it will most likely be on you to put the cords on the patient and set it up. I remember my first day of my first ride for basic class and the guy I was with said that on all our calls that I was on the monitor and it was my job. But most importantly please please please learn how to take a good blood pressure. I can’t count how many times I got a bad blood pressure from basic advanced and even medics. It is not a hard skill but if you learn it wrong and never correct it then it will always be wrong. For example I have a advanced fire fighter tell me an unresponsive patient in a nursing home had a blood pressure of 140/90. First thing I did was check for his radial pulse. ( there was none). First tip for you...if you don’t have a radial pulse then your blood pressure will be at less than 90. Good luck and always keep refreshing A&P!!!!