1. Tired of seeing ads? Click here to register today and the ads go away. It's completely FREE, too!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Can't find what you're looking for? Use the search bar in the upper right corner.
    Dismiss Notice

EMS workers suspended

Discussion in 'EMS-Related News' started by CityEMT212, Aug 3, 2018.

1. CityEMT212

CityEMT212 Forum Crew Member Premium Member

Education:
    EMT
    Hi all,

Thoughts? The mother stated she'd drive the daughter to the hospital herself, although I believe assessments should have taken place.

Click here to read the rest of the article.

Moderator's note: Edited post to meet Fair Use guidelines.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2018
  2. DrParasite

DrParasite The fire extinguisher is not just for show

I read this article too..... So many questions came to mind, as well as so many "I can't believer they actually did that"

1) I find it very hard to believe that two paramedic units responded, they carried the patient down the stairs from the 3rd floor and to the patient's car, and then documented the call as "no patient found."

2) I find it very hard to believe that they didn't even bother to assess the patient, when the Sheriff’s Office deputies were on scene previously.

3) there has to be more to this story. This is one of those "something just doesn't add up, I can't believe all 4 of these paramedics all did this" moments that I have trouble believing actually happened. After all, we are only hearing one side of the story.

From the tampa bay times:
    If everything Merrill says is 100% accurate, than they deserve to be terminated, and having 4 experienced paramedics on two separate units all doing the same stupid thing demonstrates that this isn't an isolated issue.

But we haven't heard their side of the story.

3. DrParasite

DrParasite The fire extinguisher is not just for show

found a follow up of this situation found here: http://www.nbc-2.com/story/39186012...-to-follow-protocol-resulting-in-death-of-mom

some highlights:
    the union sees things a little differently:
    This really looks shady..... There is also many claims that are being made by the mother (Nicole Black) that seem to serve no purpose other than to get a bigger payout in a future lawsuit.

and from http://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/ne...firefighters-attend-pre-disciplinary-hearings
    I said it before, and I will say it again: if all this happened as the 4 are accused, they all deserve to be terminated (especially Lt. Morris if he doesn't need vitals because he knows by looking at the patient). But something sounds really wrong, like there is an toxic cultural problem...... I can't believe all 4 paramedics did this, in the presence of other public safety officers and the family. something isn't adding up here..... I can't believe these 4 did this.

cprted likes this.
  4. DesertMedic66

DesertMedic66 Forum Troll

Education:
    Paramedic
    After seeing how one of our local fire stations operates I can 100% believe this happened. Walking out of the house once they hear us arriving with a patient still having a seizure in the bad bedroom and being on scene for 30+ minutes for a code 2 general weakness call with only a BP being recorded when the patient is actually having a stroke. There are great stations and great fire medics but sometimes there is a station filled with fire medics who hate being medics and that is the station culture.

5. johnrsemt

johnrsemt Forum Deputy Chief

Education:
    Paramedic
    Fire crew gave me vital signs when I arrived, I asked them to double check the BP for me; and they asked to use our BP cuff because they didn't bring their's in to the house; even though they gave me a BP when I arrived.
    some crews are great, bad thing is it takes a while to learn who you can trust

Kevinf and DesertMedic66 like this.