EMS Saints...?

EMS166

Forum Probie
So my family originates as Roman catholic (although we don't attend a catholic church any more ) but my mom brought my brother a St. Micheals pendant when he graduated the police academy and she wants to do the same for me when I finish paramedic school- but we unsure if St Micheal or St Luke is better for a Medic... St Luke is the Patron Saint for doctors and "healers" but St. Micheal is for those who save and protect ... I've googled and research and come up with both as an answer so I'm hoping someone here might have a more clear answer :) thanks in advance!

Achilles

Forum Moron
More than likely no one on here will know.
An apologist will know.
Try forums.catholic.com

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
St. Dymphna, patron of the insane?
Blessed Matt Talbot, who kept working as an unskilled laborer, burdened with his own sacrifices, until he dropped dead?

But I'd go with Luke. Why would you imagine yourself to have the same patron as a cop?

It's really more a matter of personal preference than anything else. EMS is too new to be part of the cult of any saint.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I suggest St. Jude.

Patron saint of lost causes.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
St. Murphy - because we all know his law rules EMS

Sultan of Swing

Forum Ride Along
I know there's decent arguments to be made for St. Luke, St. Michael, St. Jude, and St. Albert the Great. I have absolutely zero theological basis for my preference for St Michael, other than I've found EMS specific St. Michael medals out there. Google "St Michael EMS Medal" or "St Michael EMT Medal" and they'll show up.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
rule 1 you should be able to spell the proper name of the Saint medal that you wear. How about Saint Joe?

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Just had a thought. St Michael is often pictured holding a shield with a red cross on it. Might be where the association with field medicine comes from. As I recall the cross on the shield comes from another saint though.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Clever thinking, but I think the shield should resemble the crucifix.