EMS Lounges at Your Local Hospitals

1oldmedic

Forum Ride Along
What's in your EMS lounges at your local hospitals? Do they have hot meals all day? Snacks? Sandwiches or just chips and snacks? Are their bottled water sodas and Gatoraide? Is there anything you'd like to see that isnt provided (within reason).
We are looking at our EMS lounge and trying to see what's best suited for our area EMTs and Medics.
Is your EMS lounge in the ER or somewhere else in the hospital?

Thanks so much for your feedback!

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
My favorite one is right next to the ambulance entrance to the ER so on your way out you can grab something. Has gator aid, sobe water, soda, muscle milk, a lot of water bottles but it seems that's always the first thing to run out, granola bars, cookies, yogurt and ice cream; the Ice cream is nice but I try and avoid it when possible. Some small sandwiches, fruits and my favorite is a coffee machine.

Another hospital actually has an xbox but you never really have as chance to use it.

tssemt2010

Forum Lieutenant
the one with free vending machines

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
we get a small room for charting...it has a small fan on the table and 2 chairs.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Out of our 3 hospitals we have 1 with an EMS room. It has a desk, 3 chairs, a printer, and a small refrigerator that is empty.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
the one with free vending machines

Those are awesome aren't they. Kind of mind blowing, I just want to stand there pushing the buttons like a kid.

Anjel

Forum Angel
My favorites are the ones with sandwiches and fountain pop.,

Makes my day when we go to that hospital.

Some let us eat for free in the cafe. But its so far from the ER, we usually don't have time.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Those are awesome aren't they. Kind of mind blowing, I just want to stand there pushing the buttons like a kid.

The soda machine at our main station has been malfunctioning recently. A couple weeks ago someone tried to get a coke out, and instead got 9 root beers. We've been having fun seeing what else we can make it do.

Two of our hospitals have lounges. One recently stopped stocking it except on holidays because of budget cuts. It was apparently costing them over $15,000 a year to provide cookies, chips, soda, juice, coffee and fruit. The other one has fruit, muffins, yogurt, sandwiches, soda, and chips. That hospital also gives us the employee discount at the cafeteria.

bigbaldguy

Ours range from just a room to some with bottles of water all the way up to x box and free vending machines and hot food. One of our hospitals even has a power washer for our rigs though I've never used it.

As for what I'd like to see? Maybe some healthier food options. It seems a little ironic that after dropping off a diabetic with heart problems I'm being offered a fried chicken sandwitch and a coke :) I'm actually fine with just bottle of water honestly.

I would like to see a bulletin board that EMS folks could use for posting stuff on. For you know just off the top of my head you could maybe put oh this is just the first thing that comes to mind maybe stickers on it ;)

One of our hospitals also has a program where you can sign up to receive an update on the status of your patient. So if you bring in an interesting case and want to follow up and see if you guessed right ect you can. Very cool program that I wish more hospitals would offer.

DPM

Forum Captain
In this age of private EMS, is a well stocked EMS lounge a good way for the hospital to drum up business? Large City, several ER's within 5-6 mins... could the decent lounge encourage EMS to drive the extra minute on non-emergent calls? I think so. Especially if it's lunch time!

Just a thought

bigbaldguy

In this age of private EMS, is a well stocked EMS lounge a good way for the hospital to drum up business? Large City, several ER's within 5-6 mins... could the decent lounge encourage EMS to drive the extra minute on non-emergent calls? I think so. Especially if it's lunch time!

Just a thought

You know this occurred to me the first time I saw the practice where I'm at but I have to say I don't really see nearly as much of what you're describing as I thought I would. However I do not work with a private and we do only 911 so not quite the same thing. I do wonder have to wonder how hospitals are still getting away with this in a day and age where doctors can't accept free pens and bars don't even get free coasters anymore.

DPM

Forum Captain
You know this occurred to me the first time I saw the practice where I'm at but I have to say I don't really see nearly as much of what you're describing as I thought I would. However I do not work with a private and we do only 911 so not quite the same thing. I do wonder have to wonder how hospitals are still getting away with this in a day and age where doctors can't accept free pens and bars don't even get free coasters anymore.

I'm thinking of an example in San Francisco. There's parts of the city where you're the same distance from 2 emergency rooms, and I know where I'd prefer to go to... And this is 911 ALS stuff, and that = $$ for that hospital

frdude1000

Forum Captain
Hospital 1:
Small room off to the side of ER with door. Table and chairs plus printers. We usually just do our ems report in it and print. For EMS week, they had cookies all week and gave each ems provider a little multi-tool keychain with the hospital logo. If we want juice or crackers, we can go in the patient food area.

Hospital 2:
Small room off the main ER hallway close to ambulance bay. A bit bigger, has table and chairs plus a fridge stocked with sodas. *my favorite

Hospital 3:
No room, just a corner near ambulance bay. There isn't even usually a chair. Just a flat surface and printer.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Wow, this must so be a product of private medicine. We have none of that. Two of the three regional hospitals have a write up room with desk, chairs, dispatch phone and a couch (provided by the service). The third has nothing but when their reno is done we're going to have a similar room.

In terms of goodies, it's a win when I raid the ER pantry and find some arrowroot cookies. Then again since the bad old days of offload delay seem to be waning, the time I'm spending at the hospital and not at a station are somewhat less.

Imacho

Forum Lieutenant
"Out of our 3 hospitals we have 1 with an EMS room. It has a desk, 3 chairs, a printer, and a small refrigerator that is empty."

Sounds like RCH.

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
"Out of our 3 hospitals we have 1 with an EMS room. It has a desk, 3 chairs, a printer, and a small refrigerator that is empty."

Sounds like RCH.

Where you did your medic internship at DRMC.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Our rural area is smack between three cities. In City A, there are about a dozen hospitals, and many of them offer free food in the cafeteria, a great EMS lounge with a fridge stocked with free drinks, etc. In City B, there are 2 hospitals, but the second one is new, and the 1st one never experience competition in its life. In City C, both hospitals have been in place since Moses was a baby, and nobody cares which one you go to because you pick your poison for totally different reasons than poptarts and hot pockets will overcome.

All of the hospitals have a room with a printer and a desk. That's the bare minimum, really.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Cal fire 72 and AMR palm springs. And that description also sounds like DRMC.

DRMC used to have the fridge loaded with food and drinks. But nothing for the past couple of months. I worked 1 shift with you on the ambulance during your internship.

Anjel

Forum Angel

Just a thought

I have the hospitals I prefer. Based on EMS rooms and how staff treats me.

If a non critical pt says they don't care which hospital they go to. I will most definitely go to one of my favs.