EMS: Fire Truck vs. Ambulance

minneola24

Forum Lieutenant
Hello,

I want to be a firefighter paramedic but I am curious what the difference is of a firefighter paramedic and a paramedic working on an ambulance.

Apart from the obvious stuff (ambulance paramedics don't go into fires) what is the difference?

Why don't you guys work on fire trucks? Or maybe you do?

Are there any major differences?

Thanks.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I don't work on a fire truck because I want to be a medical professional and not a fire fighter.

OP
OP
minneola24

minneola24

Forum Lieutenant
I don't work on a fire truck because I want to be a medical professional and not a fire fighter.

That is what I am wondering what the difference is in the medical field.

My local fire department runs almost 80% medical calls, so what is the big difference?

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
There are a number of possible ways a department can handle the combination of fire and EMS. Your role will vary depending on where you work and who else is working in your area.

Sasha

Forum Chief
There is no difference. There are good providers on both side of the spectrum.

The major difference is here the ambulances are called Fire Rescues because they also hold water for fire fighting, are equipped with air packs, and hold rescue equipment.

There is no difference in scope of practice or standards.

OP
OP
minneola24

minneola24

Forum Lieutenant
Oh okay,

Thanks for the clarification. I actually go to school near a fire station and hospital so we get alot of the emergency response. When ever a fire truck goes by code 3 everyone thinks there is a fire.

AZFF/EMT

Forum Lieutenant
I work as a FF/PM about 75% of the time on an engine and 25% on a rescue ambulance. Nothing is different in my department besides more patient contact time during transport. We do carry hand tools, airpacks and our turnouts. We are also responsible for bringing a RIC bag to the scene on fires. We are usually assigned to attach to other companies working on a fire, assigned as an initial rapid intervention crew or to on deck.

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
I am with a fire rescue/fire fighting company. We deal with low angle, and extracation. As well as running BLS/ALS calls (for lack of better terms). Then some of are FFs, go and work on ambulances. Working FF, you may get to the pt faster, but that depends on location, nearest base, ect. Really you get the same experience on either side. Just would you rather be FF? or full time medic?

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I work as a FF/PM about 75% of the time on an engine and 25% on a rescue ambulance. Nothing is different in my department besides more patient contact time during transport. We do carry hand tools, airpacks and our turnouts. We are also responsible for bringing a RIC bag to the scene on fires. We are usually assigned to attach to other companies working on a fire, assigned as an initial rapid intervention crew or to on deck.

Same here at Fairfax Co, minus RIT duties(Rapid Intervention Training for the OP). We're crosstrained to do both suppression and EMS. If we standby at a structure fire, we'll get dressed and help the Truck driver throw ladders. An engine medic will provide ALS/BLS (obviously) until the bus gets there, and may ride in the back to the hosp if needed. you're on either the engine or ambulance depending on the shift. On the engine, we have the same medical equipment as the ambulance minus reeves, stair chair, air splints, KED, and CPAP. www.firegroundfitness.com is an excellent site. I think it was created by phoenix FF's, though I'm not sure.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Sadly because many fire Paramedics have no desire to be medical Professionals often fire departments have much more limited protocols. In a perfect world fire and EMS would be separate as they are so different from each other.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Sadly because many fire Paramedics have no desire to be medical Professionals often fire departments have much more limited protocols. In a perfect world fire and EMS would be separate as they are so different from each other.

Many paramedics have no desire to be medical professionals, too.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard

In a perfect world non fire based EMS would enjoy the same working conditions, career advancement, salary, benefits, prestige, retirement(DROP!), and lower burnout potential. For a fire dept to take EMS seriously, I believe there should be a ALS experience requirement for firemedic candidates, maybe one or two years 911 only at a minimum. A new medic gets hired before the ink is dry on their cert, then needs to become proficient in two different disciplines simultaneously. If you're already a solid medic, you can focus primarily on probie suppression material, as you should, to become competent. Doing two things at once will hamper proficiency in both. Besides the Medical Director's comfort level, protocols are also based on dept size(QA/QI issues), txp times, funding for equipment, and environment. Fairfax has decent protocols, but no RSI due to aforementioned QA/QI issues. Many of our medics are motivated to do EMS, and there has been an EMS career ladder for them, Firemedic - EMS Tech - EMS LT - EMS Capt I - EMS Capt II - EMS Battalion Chief. We now have All Hazards officer positions as well, for those that want to do both.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Ahahaha, you make me laugh man :lol:

Fire is actually closely related to EMS. Its all public safety.

I became a medic to have the ability to do more for the pt. Socioeconomic reasons aside, I became a firemedic to have the ability to help people in many more ways. A competent firemedic is truly a full service provider.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Many paramedics have no desire to be medical professionals, too.

Courtesy of the all too common burnout. The common theme is that career medics feel "trapped" in the field, with no plausible plan for career development. The money is good enough to stay in the field, but not good enough to be financially well off. Not without working a per diem gig or two, for a bazillion hours a week. Great for a marriage.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Fire is actually closely related to EMS. Its all public safety.
Why, because they both have sirens? That is the only tangible similarity between the two.

EMS = Medicine. Medicine is not public safety. It's medicine.

That's like saying that physicians and janitors are "closely related" because they are both found in a hospital. It's like saying a Ford and the Space Shuttle are "closely related" because they both have fuel gauges. Get real.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Its all public safety.

Really? Where do you ever see that stated? Sorry, never had a formal "safety" course in 31 + years as a Paramedic. Geez.. all this time, I thought we were medical as in Emergency Medical Services.

R/r911

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
No you did not.

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: