EMS/EMT Jobs in WA State

Forum Ride Along
Hello,
I'm very new to all of this. I've been riding along with my local volunteer ambulance company for a couple months now, and I've really been loving it. I've got the EMT basic class coming up here soon, taking that. I would like to get a job as an EMT. I'm not really familiar with where to get an EMT job though... AMR is all I can think of.
Heck, I'm just looking to get my foot in the door if it comes to that. But I would really like to get a job as an EMT once I've got certified. Is there anyone else in WA State besides AMR? I was thinking to look at FD, but they seem to only hire Paramedics because their Firefighters are already EMT certified.
I'm in the Spokane WA area if that helps.
Thanks guys and gals!

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I'm on the west side of the state so I don't know too much about the Spokane market. Buy AMR is pretty much it for city of Spokane. But I hear the Spokane operation is ok. There are a few places that also do volunteer emt.

If you come to the west side there is trimed and falck and Northwest ambulance. Lifeline in Wenatchee and ALS in Yakima. Als is pretty good from what I hear.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I'm on the west side of the state so I don't know too much about the Spokane market. Buy AMR is pretty much it for city of Spokane. But I hear the Spokane operation is ok. There are a few places that also do volunteer emt.

If you come to the west side there is trimed and falck and Northwest ambulance. Lifeline in Wenatchee and ALS in Yakima. Als is pretty good from what I hear.
Are you back in the PN-Dub?

SAREMT

Forum Probie
I understand your pain. I'm down in CA, and I've looked at moving to the area for a while. My girlfriend lives in the area only on the ID side of the border, so I've researched the area quite a bit. For a paid EMS gig in the area as an EMT-B, Spokane AMR is about your best bet. The problem is that they don't open up very often for EMT due to the fact that they're the only job in town. There are some local FD's that allow for residence in return for volunteering, and I know of one local FD that will pay for part timers.

On the Idaho side near Couer d'Alene, good luck finding anything paid unless you're going fire, and it is of course competitive. There's Bonner County EMS in Sandpoint which you could look into as well, but that's not exactly local either.

Bottom line your best bet locally is AMR or volunteering.

OP
OP

Forum Ride Along
Thanks guys and gals.
Yeah, its a bit of a sticky situation. I'm sure something will come up though. Just trying to figure out my options.
Thanks for the help so far!

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Yeah. Loved it there but needed to be home with my at that time unborn child and wife. Now testing again and am finish the process with a few places now.
Are you back in the PN-Dub?

Drax

Forum Captain
In the Spokane area, I believe it is pretty much just AMR or Fire. Firefighter/EMTs are becoming a thing of the past.

Drax

Forum Captain
That said, you should eventually want more than just EMT. I know it is hard to visualize, but you need to start thinking big picture.

What you could with just an EMT cert:

-Seasonal or odd job EMT (Theme parks, Amazon, Correctional facilities)
-Private ambulance EMT
-Volunteer firefighter

Options after future education include:

-ER Tech (which will probably include getting a CNA and/or phlebotomist cert)
-Private ambulance paramedic (which obviously involves getting your paramedic)
-Flight medic (which will require you get your paramedic and a boatload of critical care experience)
-Firefighter Medic (which will require you get your paramedic and possibly some firefighter experience)

Just make sure you're doing things in sequence to get to where you're trying to go.

Grozler

Forum Crew Member
In the Spokane area, I believe it is pretty much just AMR or Fire. Firefighter/EMTs are becoming a thing of the past.
That being said, 3/4 of the full-time firefighters in Spokane County are EMTs. Obviously, the rest are medics.

To the OP, my time around AMR in Spokane was great during medic school but its already been 7 years (damn). Its a good place to work but you may not get what you want out of it as an EMT. If you call 911 in Spokane County, a paramedic will be in the back on the way to the hospital with you no matter what. IMO that system turns the AMR EMTs into glorified drivers. If you are going to be in Spokane long-term, just get your medic. And AMR Spokane often has hiring bonuses for medics. Deer Park Ambulance north of Spokane also has single-roll, full-time EMT spots but very difficult to get in with because it is a small organization. Helps to have an in there. Best of luck.

Drax

Forum Captain
That being said, 3/4 of the full-time firefighters in Spokane County are EMTs. Obviously, the rest are medics.
True, but 3/4 of the job announcements for full-time firefighters, in general and probably in the Spokane area as well, are for paramedics.

Grozler

Forum Crew Member
True, but 3/4 of the job announcements for full-time firefighters, in general and probably in the Spokane area as well, are for paramedics.

Oh for sure. Spokane and Spokane Valley are saturated with medics in my opinion. I worked arrests with 6 medics on scene.