EMS Automatic Transport Ventilator

Thepardoner

Forum Ride Along
Hi All,

Looking into transport ventilators, possibly the e700. Recently heard about a company called "O_two" their website is:

otwo.com/automatic-transport-ventilators/eseries-ventilators/

Just out of curiosity, has anyone heard of this company? Any EMS agencies use their E series ventllator? If so how does it compare to the other vents like the carefusion LTV, Revel (that are widely used) and other transport vents on the market. Could it stand typical EMS abuse?

Thanks!

VentMonkey

Family Guy
http://otwo.com/automatic-transport-ventilators/eseries-ventilators/e700/

Are you looking to use it for ground (non-critical care) EMS service?

If so, I don't know how "easy to use" it would be for most paramedics without a proper in-service on prehospital vent management and perhaps some more in-depth/ refresher with the respiratory system.

As far standard critical care ops, while I have no firsthand experience with it, it seems to be up to par with the average transport vent.

OP
OP
T

Thepardoner

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the quick response. The company would come in and give an in - service to the members. Its going to be for regular 911 paramedics. I know the LTV's can withstand a lot of abuse. Wanted to know if anyone has used this and how it withstands to being in a 911 bus. Here, our protocols alow BLS to transport stable patients with non respiratory issues with an Automatic Transport Ventilator. Seems like this is much more than the typical pneumatic ATV.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Harris County Emergency Corps uses these vents and seems to like them. I've dabbled and personally prefer the Zoll vents, but these are OK too. They're better than the HT-70.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Thanks for the quick response. The company would come in and give an in - service to the members. Its going to be for regular 911 paramedics. I know the LTV's can withstand a lot of abuse. Wanted to know if anyone has used this and how it withstands to being in a 911 bus. Here, our protocols alow BLS to transport stable patients with non respiratory issues with an Automatic Transport Ventilator. Seems like this is much more than the typical pneumatic ATV.
Where exactly is this?
Harris County Emergency Corps uses these vents and seems to like them. I've dabbled and personally prefer the Zoll vents, but these are OK too. They're better than the HT-70.
Do you happen to know what kind of training Harris County is putting their providers through? The vent in question seems to be a step up from say, an Autovent.

I'm not saying it's beyond us learning, but it's definitely not something that's part of most paramedics standard curriculum in school, TMK. Kind of nice to know that they are deployed with other services, even on ground 911 units.

RocketMedic

They have a clinical ops manager who has an extensive flight and ICU nursing background. He 1:1's everyone on the vent.

RocketMedic

The only real disadvantage of the O-Two is that it is still essentially a pneumatic vent and you are still looking at limited FiO2 options (50% +, IIRC, via Venturi). With that being said, the price point is hard to beat and it is really, really a lot better than a Parapack or Autovent. For the 911 or generic transport setting, I really do think that the FiO2 limitations can be overlooked easily. It's not like y'all are habitually moving long-term intubated patients who are being weaned onto lower FiO2s.

The one thing with most vents I've noticed is that they are (anecdotally) less capable in an arrest than a BVM due to the pressure alarms. Although it is possible to adjust around them, I think a BVM is a better solution if you're actively compressing the chest. For anyone who isn't dead though, a vent is a better option after the immediate-term.

RocketMedic

HT-70, Impact vents are actually fan-driven and use high-pressure (on the Zoll, high and low pressure) oxygen intakes to supplement. You can run all day long on the air around you. O-Two saves a lot of money by being "powered" by high-pressure O2. The electronic bit is actually just the flow regulator...it's essentially an Autovent underneath it all.

RocKetamine

Forum Crew Member
Do you happen to know what kind of training Harris County is putting their providers through? The vent in question seems to be a step up from say, an Autovent.

I'm not saying it's beyond us learning, but it's definitely not something that's part of most paramedics standard curriculum in school, TMK. Kind of nice to know that they are deployed with other services, even on ground 911 units.

Far better than pretty much any ventilator I've used so far, very lightweight and incredibly easy to set up.

I was there at the time they rolled them out, required to attend day long inservice with educators from the manufacturer + online instruction modules along with scheduled recurrent training. However, almost all the Paramedics there are more familiar with vents than most 911 medics as they have always required ventilator use for all intubated patients. The ventilators before were the ATV+ which had far more options than your standard transport ventilator found on most ambulances.

Their model also came with CPAP/BiPAP functions and worked great the few time that I used it.