EMS agencies in Indiana

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant
So from google I know there are a number of Ambulance companies in Indiana, especially around Indianapolis. I would like to move back there but to effectively make my case to my wife (and to make sure it's viable) I'm trying to figure out how much I could earn as a Paramedic. I've found websites for Seals, ATS, CARE, Midwest, and RMA but nothing about pay. Would it be poor manners to call up these companies and ask how much they pay? That seems...rude. I've tried using Salary.com and Indeed.com but they list the median pay in Florida too high, so I imagine it's the same in Indiana.

So how can I get the real scoop on how much I could expect to make? If there are any Medics from Indiana (preferably the Indianapolis area) that could chime in I'd really appreciate it. Thanks guy.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
If you want to work in Indy, the best to look at is City of Indianapolis EMS. It's a dept of their public safety agency, w/ good pay and benefits. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

OP
OP
S

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant
If you want to work in Indy, the best to look at is City of Indianapolis EMS. It's a dept of their public safety agency, w/ good pay and benefits. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

While that would be my ultimate goal I'm still a very new medic. At the time I could convieably move I'll only have a year of being a medic under my belt. I checked their website an found EMT positions but none for medics. Perhaps I'll call them and see what's up. I kinda feel like that might be my only option for finding out what those other companies pay.

brentoli

Forum Crew Member
They don't hire medics. You can still be hired as them, but it will be as an EMT, with possible promotion.

Stay away from rural metro, they are leaving Indiana, in the news today.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
IEMS hires ALL EMS personnel as EMTs, then promotes the people with paramedic certs to medic. My academy class (last October) had several people with paramedic certificates. By the time we had our badging in May, ALL the people in class who already had paramedic certs had promoted to medic. The "promotion" happens pretty quickly. IEMS is a good place to be, decent pay (once on medic pay it's about $39k/year to start, $28-29k/year to start for EMT). The last recruit class this past spring was huge, like 26 people, my class last Oct had 13. Not sure when the next class will be.

If you want the full pay matrix, PM me and I'll email you the full-page adobe doc.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
Forgot to include the link: http://www.indy.gov/eGov/City/DPS/EMS/Pages/Home.aspx

Click 'careers' on the left side menu. Online apps are always accepted, and when testing for a new recruit class is gearing up, an email will go out to the people with emails and apps on file. Also, if you follow the agency on FB and/or Twitter there will be updates when testing begins.

OP
OP
S

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for the info Flyer. That's definitely food for thought though, since I could make as much as EMT up there as I'm making as a Medic for a private service down here! I'll put my app in and start following them on FB.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Dang it's almost a ten k cut from what I'm making now to be a medic there. Is there pay for years of service elsewhere?

brentoli

Forum Crew Member
Pay is crap in Indiana if you're not fire based. When I was in the IEMS process last fall it was a $1.50 pay cut from my dispatch job.

OP
OP
S

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant
Pay is crap in Indiana if you're not fire based. When I was in the IEMS process last fall it was a $1.50 pay cut from my dispatch job.

Sadly it's the same situation in Central FL as well, but the cost of living is higher so making is a non-fire fighter is even harder.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
The one thing Indy really has going for it is a reasonable cost of living. Housing is not insanely expensive here. The greater Indianapolis area is pretty lacking in public transportation (especially in the incredibly busy I-69 to downtown corridor) but housing is reasonably priced. I spent 10 years in Chicago, so I'm pretty familiar with expensive housing! :) Loved that city, but damn was it expensive.