Employment with marijuana on background

OTWsince88

Forum Ride Along
Hey forum,
I am finishing my EMT course and looking to get hired as an EMT after receiving my license, specifically Care. I am interested in the fire service and paramedic field for long term but I am worried about having a medical marijuana card on my background stopping me from employment. It expired 5 years ago and have been clean for at least 3 years so any drug test wouldn't be the issue. Does anyone have any insight on this issue or know if it will come up as being a problem for me in any EMS position?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
just out of curiosity what was your supposed medical reason?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Does anyone besides me see the irony in this post, given today's date?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Does anyone besides me see the irony in this post, given today's date?

Win.

OP, I do see this being an issue if you try and get on with an FD. They tend to be pretty strict on marijuana use.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I didn't even think about the date.

I was wondering because if it was prescribed as paliative for a terminal illness, which is the only legit medical reason, it might dissuade potential employers.

If it was prescribed a little too cavalier for a psych issue, the psych issue could preclude employment.

with more than 760 pubmed articles from molecular to clinical linking THC with Schizophrenia in particular as well as other psych disorders, I think any prudent employer dealing with lives, large cash, or property would be extremely cautious about hiring such a person.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
In reality, the employer has no business in your personal medical records unless you opt to share them.

A government agency such as a fire department will most likely do as they please and look at what is available to them.

Nothing used legally can be held against you. It could put you apart from another candidate though.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Most employment applications ask the generic "do you have any medical or physical problems that could interfere with your ability to work? ", or something like that.

Also, marijuana is still illegal federally, so the "its legal" argument only goes so far.

OP
OP
O

OTWsince88

Forum Ride Along
I didn't even think about the date either. Unfortunately it was for "chronic pain" due to a surgery on my tibia and fibula. More so of being safe while using here in CA. Something I regret doing at 18 years of age now that it may affect my career of choice. I am top in class and not worried about anything else besides that on my background records.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
In reality, the employer has no business in your personal medical records unless you opt to share them.

A government agency such as a fire department will most likely do as they please and look at what is available to them.

Nothing used legally can be held against you. It could put you apart from another candidate though.

the 3 FDs I worked for and many of the other reputable employers always had a line item on the applications specifically asking about THC, cocaine, heroin, and a number of other drugs.

For a medical condition or not, with a few thousand applicants per position, answering "yes" better be followed with a damn good explanation.

On polygraph tests they always asked as well.

Sme agencies even require a psych test and a yes to any federaly controlled substance is an automatic red flag.

If you used THC or anything else that is controlled, honesty and openess is the best policy. If you answer "no" or deny, and the truth comes out later, there will certainly be major problems for you.

I have never worked anywhere where falsifying an application wasn't grounds for immediate and automatic termination.

Last edited by a moderator:

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
the 3 FDs I worked for and many of the other reputable employers always had a line item on the applications specifically asking about THC, cocaine, heroin, and a number of other drugs.

For a medical condition or not, with a few thousand applicants per position, answering "yes" better be followed with a damn good explanation.

On polygraph tests they always asked as well.

Sme agencies even require a psych test and a yes to any federaly controlled substance is an automatic red flag.

If you used THC or anything else that is controlled, honesty and openess is the best policy. If you answer "no" or deny, and the truth comes out later, there will certainly be major problems for you.

I have never worked anywhere where falsifying an application wasn't grounds for immediate and automatic termination.

How did you ever find the time for med school? :unsure:

That seems a bit strange to be prescribed medical marijuana for a long bone injury over the countless prescription drugs on the market. You better have a good story to tell them to justify it. But in the end, it was documented for medical usages.

Even the presidents admit to having smoked some bud in their day. Honesty can't hurt. Any decent percent should see past it and hire you because they can tell you are the man for the job.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

I started early and worked up from the bottom.

I haven't worked for a FD in more than 10 years.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus

That seems a bit strange to be prescribed medical marijuana for a long bone injury over the countless prescription drugs on the market. You better have a good story to tell them to justify it. But in the end, it was documented for medical usages.

Even the presidents admit to having smoked some bud in their day. Honesty can't hurt. Any decent percent should see past it and hire you because they can tell you are the man for the job.

In some places, like California, it can be extremely easy to get a medical marijuana card if you know the right doc and have cash.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
576798_383984998290950_100000383601864_1177756_1254816200_n.jpg

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
sorry I had to. Plus the guy really did pick the perfect date to post this.

In all seriousness though regarding the OP. I am sure you will be fine. I would consider that a past medical history/record which your employer has no right to unless it somehow effects your job as a EMS provider today.

911bru

Forum Probie
you smoked weed 3 years ago.. who cares... not a big deal!
most police agencies have a 2-3 years limit on weed. you should be fine on that aspect.
More hippies trying to justify why they " need" weed!

Im a combat Veteran(OEF)
Disabled vet.
i dont" need " weed to help me Man the :censored::censored::censored::censored: up...

Lets end this thread?

Sasha

Forum Chief
you smoked weed 3 years ago.. who cares... not a big deal!
most police agencies have a 2-3 years limit on weed. you should be fine on that aspect.
More hippies trying to justify why they " need" weed!

Im a combat Veteran(OEF)
Disabled vet.
i dont" need " weed to help me Man the :censored::censored::censored::censored: up...

Lets end this thread?

I'm sure they will. Because you asked so nicely.

Op, honesty is always the best policy. Don't hide it, hope for the best and if it doesn't work understand that even though it isn't "fair" your choices when you're younger affect what is available to you when you're older.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I wasn't even drug tested when I started where I am now.

That isn't the norm. But it happens.

I really think you will be ok. Don't bring it up unless they specifically ask you.