Emergency ward dials 911 when dying woman arrives

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Emergency ward dials 911 when dying woman arrives

Vancouver — The family of a 22-year old woman who died at a British Columbia hospital threatened legal action yesterday in an attempt to show that emergency-room staff failed to properly respond when an uncle rushed in, frantically asking for help.

Single mother Jessica Peace was in the back seat of the car when Jim Roberts pulled into the emergency driveway of Peace Arch Hospital in White Rock, outside Vancouver, two weeks ago. She had stopped breathing moments before.

Read More!

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
That's terrible. There's a hospital near me who has an attitude similar to that... the best time to drive up is if there is an ambulance outside since we end up helping people inside while the staff just stares at us...

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
The reason for this is simple - LIABILITY.

The hospital I worked at had a similar policy for anything that occurred across the street from the main building. If someone needed help across the street, we were required to call 911 for the simple reason that we were not "qualified to transport a patient" according to the state.

By the same token, the nurses and other medical staff were not encouraged to get involved, unless they witnessed the problem. The medical response team for all incidents outside of the main building was the Security Department, and we were discouraged from even being CPR certified.

I agree that what happened here is a tragedy, especially if he got her to the ER driveway. There is no reason that I can think of for the staff not to go out and assist like they would for an ambulance arriving.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I agree whole heartedly with what you said. I have heard of this numerous times, especially from security officers. One of the most frequent I heard was that there was a medical emergency somewhere outside the hospital (building). They could go outside and treat the patient the best they could but under no circumstances were they allowed to bring the patient inside. If it was outside the building an ambulance is needed to be called. To be that is utter B.S.

I, as well as many others, have said that if we were put in that situation that we would all risk our jobs by bringing the person inside. Once inside the patient had to be worked on. Screw policy.

Now, sad to say, but I do agree with the scenario of the patient being across the street. If it's off hospital property then it's not the hospital's responsibilty. Sorry, it's just not. But if someone drives up and says "my daughter is in the car and not breathing" then the staff member (doctor, nurse, whatever) now knows of this and must act (IMO).

Chimp

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I was talking to one of the Chiefs at the ambulance corps the other day and he likened our group to M*A*S*H... doing the best we can with what we have and if we need to bend the rules to save someone, do it and deal with the consequences later.

I agree about being across the street though... now, if they drag the person across the street by their ankles, great!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuelt@Sep 7 2004, 07:27 PM
I was talking to one of the Chiefs at the ambulance corps the other day and he likened our group to M*A*S*H... doing the best we can with what we have and if we need to bend the rules to save someone, do it and deal with the consequences later.
'Tis always easier to beg forgiveness than to ask for permission.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I'm not sure I understand your responses on this one. I've seen several times where a car will pull into the ER entrance, or in the area, and a gurney will be rushed to the patient.

The first trauma I ever saw was when a father drove his infant into the ER emergency bay at 2 AM. The child was clearly dead, but the security officer pushed the alarm button, and ER Techs rushed to the entrance and too the child to the trauma room.

The last shift I worked there was an obese woman driven into the same entrance. Hospital staff again pushed the "emergency" button, which activated several alarms and flashing lights. ER Techs ran to the area with a hospital gurney, and the patient was taken into the trauma room. It is safe to say she too died.

Im not quite sure what's wrong the above situations, I can't see it happening any differently.