E-Mail Spam; I've reached that point again

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
My server provides an automatic filter for spam. It looks at all email, and rates in on a scale. For example, the mail gets 2 points if the central spam database has the email already reported as a spam. .5 points if "MORTGAGE" is in the subject, and so on. There are literally hundreds of filter points. I then set the level at which points the mail is sent to another "Possible Spam" folder. Right now I have it set to 5 points.

I have all reported spam go into another folder on my mail client. Every 15,000 spam emails or so my mail program (MS Outlook) begins to freeze. I now have 30,000+ spam emails in my spam folders, and it grows by the hundreds daily.

I'm wondering how everyone else deals with spam, and how much you get.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
The great thing about AOL is that they automatically block Spam. It rarely ever reaches my inbox. There is a "spam box" so I can make sure I'm not missing anything important. In a typical day I used to receive 30 - 100 spam emails. AOL has done a great job combating spammers and the number has dropped dramatically, from 1-3 a day to sometimes none, in my inbox or spam box.

Alpha752

Forum Crew Member
The way I deal with spam is a little more time consuming. I have 2 email address.

I have my "personal" email address, that I give out to friends, family... any person I want to talk to.

Then I have a junk email account. This is the account that I use when ever I have to post my email address on the internet, order something on the net, sign up for things....any time im not giving the address to a living person.

95% of junk mail goes to the junk account. I check it every so often, and skim thought to make sure im not missing something and empty it. I think using 2 accounts accually saves time, instead of messing with those spam filters. I never have had much luck with those things.

Just my $.02

Russ

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by Alpha752@Jul 17 2004, 05:23 PM
The way I deal with spam is a little more time consuming. I have 2 email address.

I have my "personal" email address, that I give out to friends, family... any person I want to talk to.

Then I have a junk email account. This is the account that I use when ever I have to post my email address on the internet, order something on the net, sign up for things....any time im not giving the address to a living person.

95% of junk mail goes to the junk account. I check it every so often, and skim thought to make sure im not missing something and empty it. I think using 2 accounts accually saves time, instead of messing with those spam filters. I never have had much luck with those things.

Just my $.02

Russ
I've actually got about 7 e-mail accounts.

I give them out depending upon what I set them up for. I have one for work, one for Fire/EMS, one for personal, etc...

Any webpage that I think my send me spam if I enter my e-mail address gets my junk account also. I go through about every week and empty it out.

You're right, this does save time in the long run.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I too have a junk-mail only account. I still get a small amount of junk-mail in my personal account, but its manageable.