drug synergy

jpmedic21

Forum Probie
I understand the concept of synergy. 1+1=3 or more. I am having trouble thinking of a combination of drugs where this takes place. Hope im not missing any obvious drugs. Anyone know a combo that EMS commonly uses?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Narcotics and phenergan

Last edited by a moderator:

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
conscious sedation using narcs and benzos. ie morphine and versed.

seekersofthetruth

Forum Probie
I believe that MSO4 and Diphenhydramine are synergistic as well. Which I dont fully understand myself. Isnt the hypotension caused by Morphine administration due to histamine release? Yet, Diphenhydramine is a antihistamine medication? Maybe it is just due to the sedative effects.

Just a curious student.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
what are you using mag and diphenhydramine for?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
MgSO4 is Mag, MSO4 is MS. And htis would be the reason that the chemical formula is no longer allowed in most hospitals for orders.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
double post

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
i had no idea MS04 was morphine, I though it was just missing a g. yes MS + benadryl is also synergistic. the hospital I did my clinicals at used 2mg dilaudid, 50mg benadryl, and 2mg atavan, as a cocktail for gypsum weed. its a big problem here.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Synergystic drugs are two drugs with a similar action, combined to create a much stronger effect, such as acetaminophen and hydrocodone. When both are taken together at a normal dose, a stronger effect is the result, more exagerated than if taken separately. Think of it as 1+1=5

Potentiation is similar, but different than synergy. Promethazine is used to potentaite opitates such as Morphine, intensifing the effect and allowing for a smaller dose of the opiate. Think of potentiation as a+b=B.

A small difference, but one worth pointing out.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
n71xi has a good point

I don't like the term "synergy", it is nonspecific and often misused.

When some people talk about "synergy" they are referring to meds given together because they work well as a "team" (such as phenergan and valium as preop pre-sedatives), but not truly synergistically (additive or potentiative effects).

Off-duty (I hope): Benadryl and ETOH p.o., also known as NyQuil, makes a real micky finn.

Interestingly, synergy is nearly always thought of as "positive", whereas "bad" synergy (such as tricyclic antidepressants and pseudophed or amphetamines leading to hypertensive crisis) is usually not referred to as such.

Moshi

Forum Probie
So what about Amiodarone and NS?

Doing my clinicals and preparing a doctor's order where it said 300 mg in 250 cc of NS. I was like "What the hell... this must be a mistake" So i asked a nurse, my mentor, if this is wrong and she said that they never put Amiodarone in 5% Dextrose... that totally shocked me.

In my EMT-B basic classes they strictly forbid using NS with Amiodarone... So now i'm confused of what is right and what is just a myth...

Edit: Bah, my bad, I misread the topic title. Ignore. :D