Drug screening for EMS cert/school

CaptainJeanLucPicard

Forum Ride Along
Dear forum,

I'm thinking about becoming an EMT. I'm also a regular marijuana smoker. I smoke mostly as a sleep-aid before I go to sleep, as I suffer from moderate insomnia. I also use recreationally sometimes on my own time, when I don't have to work (I'm a pharmacy technician). I don't use any other drugs (except LSD, once or twice, but nothing addictive or dangerous; e.g. cocaine, heroin, etc). What is your experience or knowledge about being/becoming an EMT while using marijuana? Do you need to take a drug screening test to get certified or enter and EMT-school? I live in south NJ, and would plan on attending Camden County College's EMT program, if that helps at all.

Also, please don't jump down my throat about 'using' while being an EMT. I'm not a junkie, I don't depend on any substances, and I'm not addicted to anything. It doesn't interfere with the rest of my life. I don't go to work high, nor do I feel the 'need' to get high all the time.

Thanks for your input.

thatJeffguy

Forum Lieutenant
I've never known any college to require a pre-admission drug test. My work in hospitals has always been conditional to a pre-employment, random, and post-accident drug test. I have no problem with people smoking marijuana, you've just got to decide if you want to risk cheating a drug test at least once, and possibly more, times versus your career. If you're really into smoking pot, move to California, get a prescription and be covered. I'm not going to tell you how to cheat a drug test, though. Best of luck.

Sasha

Forum Chief
They may not screen you to get in, but if someone suspects you are using marijuana they mgiht ask for drug screen. Also many employers do pre-employment drug screen and random drug screens.

Marijuana is a drug. It's illegal to use it in most cases. There are LEGAL things you can take to help you sleep.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
You are not tested for your work as a pharm tech? What assurances does your employer have you dont go to work high?

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
You won't be tested, I suspect, to get into the program or get certified, but I strongly suspect that your employer will test you. Even to volunteer I had to take a hair follicle drug test (to show any drug use in the last 6 months).

DGreno

Forum Probie
I didnt have to take a test to start school but I did before I was allowed to do clinicals. Most public service (police, fire, ems,...) require you to submit to randoms, even on the volunteer side. If you do get a drug screen, and fail it, it will follow you through your whole career. Im not going to hound you about your choices, but be careful about how it affects you in your career.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I know someone who went to the same college I did for EMT, and they asked him to do a drug screen, which he would have failed, so he didn't go through with it, so yes it does happen.

Quit the smoking, do legal sleep aids, and you'll be fine with the test.

But don't expect someone to trust you with equipment worth thousands, NARCOTICS, and peoples lives, if you do drugs yourself.

thatJeffguy

Forum Lieutenant
While I'm a proponent of decriminilization of marijuana, you've got more to think about here than legal issues. You'll be working in a profession that doesn't look kindly upon drug users and, sadly, rarely differentiates between a recreational marijuana smoker and a narcotics abuser. If this is the path you wish to take, perhaps it's best to lay off the ganja until you've completed school. Melatonin works great for getting to sleep, as does strenuous exercise during the day. If pot were legal, I'd indulge. It's not and I wouldn't risk a career or a job over it.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Dear forum,

I'm thinking about becoming an EMT. I'm also a regular marijuana smoker. I smoke mostly as a sleep-aid before I go to sleep, as I suffer from moderate insomnia. I also use recreationally sometimes on my own time, when I don't have to work (I'm a pharmacy technician). I don't use any other drugs (except LSD, once or twice, but nothing addictive or dangerous; e.g. cocaine, heroin, etc). What is your experience or knowledge about being/becoming an EMT while using marijuana? Do you need to take a drug screening test to get certified or enter and EMT-school? I live in south NJ, and would plan on attending Camden County College's EMT program, if that helps at all.

Also, please don't jump down my throat about 'using' while being an EMT. I'm not a junkie, I don't depend on any substances, and I'm not addicted to anything. It doesn't interfere with the rest of my life. I don't go to work high, nor do I feel the 'need' to get high all the time.

Thanks for your input.

Ummm... Ya have to make an adult decision here...high or hired.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Agree with what rescue99 said. To answer your question, no most schools do not drug test. However I have never heard of an EMS agency that doesn't do atleast a pre-employment screening. Most of the time it's Urine but our surprise tests are follicle, our accident tests are blood.

If you smoke during employment, yea maybe you won't be caught by random testing or go to work high. Hey it's not my place to tell people what to do in their spare time, I'll give you my opinion but you can take it and tell me to pound sand if you want. But keep this in mind, if you are in an accident (no matter how minor with anything) or if you injure yourself, you could be in trouble. So lets say you are lifting a patient and you strain your back and sustain a serious back injury. You will have to take a drug screen and if you smoked a couple days ago at a party, you are at risk for losing your workmans comp, your job, and your license.

eveningsky339

Forum Lieutenant
Dear forum,

Thanks for your input.

You said don't jump down your throat, but this is absurd. You are using illegal narcotics while trying to get involved in EMS. Get a prescription for a legal sleep aide such as Lunesta or take over the counter meds such as diphenhydramine.

I hope you get screened so you quit this nonsense. "Sleep aid" my foot.

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
My paramedic school required a drug test, background check, etc...

Perhaps you should find other (legal) treatment for your isomnia?

JCampbell

Forum Crew Member
Because "legal" sleep aids never affect users the next day, right? Ever hear them say "May cause next day drowsiness, do not use ........ if you plan on operating machinery, etc"? I think instead of telling him to try another medication, how about just plain exercise, or proper diet, or any number of things other than switching one drug for another. OP to answer your question, I HIGHLY doubt you will be asked to drug test before school. I am CERTAIN you will be drug tested prior to hiring, and post accident, and randomly, and due to "suspicion".

Last edited by a moderator:

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
The OP is from New Jersey... so its entirely likely when he finishes his class he will join a township rescue squad, which may or may not have a formal drug testing program, pre employment or even post accident. THat township may be in severe need for EMTs to respond to calls, and may not look so closely at this applicant. Is that a problem?
The OP is only interested in drug testing for his EMT class, not working in the field.
Purely hypothetically. Anyone see a problem with this?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Do I have a problem with someone working in any medical / public service field who does illegal drugs?

You bet.

thatJeffguy

Forum Lieutenant
Do I have a problem with someone working in any medical / public service field who does illegal drugs?

You bet.

What if they decide to chug a bottle of cough syrup? That's not illegal, is it? Or what if they smoke salvia? Or smoke DMT? OR any of the THOUSANDS of compounds that exist in nature that aren't scheduled yet by Supreme Edict of the DEA? I judge people by their performance.

Would you rather ride with someone that smokes marijuana infrequently and never within 48 hours of a shift, or a guy who gets poop-faced drunk every night?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Illegal is illegal is illegal. If salvia is legal in their state (Which I believe 30ish states it is) then by all means, go for it, so long as it's not affecting you on shift.

I knew what career field I wanted to get in to as a kid, and guess what? None of those jobs allow any sort of drug use or criminal past, so I dodged all sorts of "recreational" drug experimentation and major criminal acts. I had my life together. Tough snoogies if you smoke pot and want to be an EMT... you can do one, not both. If you're adult enough to make a stupid criminal decision, you're adult enough to deal with the consequences.

Your question is so biased it's not even funny. How about I reciprocate it for you? "Would you rather work with someone who drinks infrequently and never within 48 hours of a shift, or someone who smokes marijuana stoned out of their gourd every night?"