Drug Cooler

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey folks,

What do you use to secure your cooler meds? Looking for a new system. Right now we have a safe with the non-cooler drugs, and in that safe we keep a key for a small lock on a latch that's screwed into the lid of a portable powered cooler.

Looking for something that'll eliminate the need for two separate secure containers, if possible.

Thanks!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
What do you keep in the fridge that needs to be locked up?
We have unlocked fridges with fluids, succinylcholine, and Cardizem.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
What do you keep in the fridge that needs to be locked up?
We have unlocked fridges with fluids, succinylcholine, and Cardizem.
Ativan. And we like to keep our paralytics locked too. Plus so we don't need two fridges since we carry cold fluid, racemic epi and dilt as well

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
Ativan. And we like to keep our paralytics locked too. Plus so we don't need two fridges since we carry cold fluid, racemic epi and dilt as well

Hmm, I didn't know that racemic epi required refrigeration. Strange that d-epi does, as l-epi obviously doesn't.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
That's what i thought, but the mfg states it must be kept refrigerated. Not 100% sure why either

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
That's what i thought, but the mfg states it must be kept refrigerated. Not 100% sure why either
Not so much refrigerated, but must be kept reasonably cool. We keep ours in the fridge as well.

We have RV fridges in the new ambulances, I suppose you could padlock them.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
We have some meds and saline bags in a mini fridge/cooler in each truck....I also store my lunch in there. Classy, I know.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
We have some meds and saline bags in a mini fridge/cooler in each truck....I also store my lunch in there. Classy, I know.
One of our shorelines tripped the other day leaving a backup rig with no power for several days. Opened the fridge to pitch the cold meds that got warm, found a moldy hospital sandwich. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Mini fridge with a small combo lock. Inside is a small plastic tackle box with vials.

And usually a can of Sierra Mist.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
One of our shorelines tripped the other day leaving a backup rig with no power for several days. Opened the fridge to pitch the cold meds that got warm, found a moldy hospital sandwich. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Where I work, lunch is bought for the staff and left in the break room every day. Sometimes we get sandwiches from Subway or Panera bread. One of the OR nurses I work with will take a couple of these sandwiches at a time and stash them in his locker to eat later. Days later.

It's not uncommon to see him pull a partially eaten sandwich out of his locker, take a bite or two, wrap it back up, and put it back in his locker. Even if it's been 4 or 5 days since we had sandwiches for lunch.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
If it hasn't already been done, it might be worthwhile for someone at your service to crunch the numbers to see if it's even worth the cost of keeping the drugs cool vs. simply replacing them regularly. Sux, for instance, is only like 99 cents a vial. So if you occasionally have to throw a few vials away because they didn't get used in the two week (or 4 week, or 60 day - I've seen them all) window, it's not a big deal. Cardizem and rocuronium cost a lot more than sux, but if you use them regularly you might find that it costs less to occasionally toss a drug than it does to keep them cool.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Where I work, lunch is bought for the staff and left in the break room every day. Sometimes we get sandwiches from Subway or Panera bread. One of the OR nurses I work with will take a couple of these sandwiches at a time and stash them in his locker to eat later. Days later.

It's not uncommon to see him pull a partially eaten sandwich out of his locker, take a bite or two, wrap it back up, and put it back in his locker. Even if it's been 4 or 5 days since we had sandwiches for lunch.
Bleh.

Also, fridges are nice for "rehab," as in there is always a gatorade or bottle water when you need it.

meatanchor

Forum Probie
There are some very nice 12V compressor fridges on the market these days. They actually cool things down like a real home 'fridge, and they draw very little power. They are popular with off-roaders and long-haul truck drivers. Check out:

http://www.truckfridge.com

There's no reason that a small DEA safe wouldn't fit inside any of these.

cruiseforever

Forum Asst. Chief
If it hasn't already been done, it might be worthwhile for someone at your service to crunch the numbers to see if it's even worth the cost of keeping the drugs cool vs. simply replacing them regularly. Sux, for instance, is only like 99 cents a vial. So if you occasionally have to throw a few vials away because they didn't get used in the two week (or 4 week, or 60 day - I've seen them all) window, it's not a big deal. Cardizem and rocuronium cost a lot more than sux, but if you use them regularly you might find that it costs less to occasionally toss a drug than it does to keep them cool.

We replace the sux every 60 days.