Dropout Don't

sop

Forum Lieutenant
One of my friends has dropped out of EMT-B school after 4 weeks of class. He is not returning the instructor's e-mails or phone calls. The class just had an exam on Patient Assessment and a lecture done on Documentation and Communication before he quit. I talked with him briefly afterward on his social media page, but I could not convince him to go back to school. I can't understand why he quit.

Why do people say they want to do something, pay for school, and only attend a few classes before dropping out?

Please don't dropout if you make bad grades or because the course is hard to you. :sad:

Veneficus

Forum Chief
If this person doesn't even have the common courtesy to answer or return a call and tell the instructor he is quitting in person, I am not sure he is mature enough to be an EMS provider anyway.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Better to quit now than quit on a patient.

Anjel

Forum Angel
There was a guy in my class with the one of the highest grades and he dropped out 3 weeks before the end of class. It takes a certain kind of person to do the job ans some realize that it isn't for them.

Had another kid drop halfway through because he didn't want to cut his hair.

And another guy walked out in the middle of skills because we were half way through and he couldn't assemble the o2 tank and the proctor gave him crap about it.

None of them would talk to any of us afterward. Shame maybe? immaturity possibly? Home issues. You never know. Just gotta stay focused on you.

And if you ever feel like quitting. Talk to someone first.

terrible one

Always wandering
What's the big deal? EMS isn't for everyone, if he wasn't into that's fine. Move on in life to something you enjoy.

Hockey

Quackers
We had someone drop out during the last week of externship (after class, clinicals etc. Had 2 people drop in the last 2 weeks of class 16 month course. Sucks, oh well not my problem.

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
At least he figured it out before someone hired him.

People have so much going on- there's no way to know why he left. I wouldn't judge him for it.

EMSrush

Forum Captain
Please don't dropout if you make bad grades or because the course is hard to you. :sad:

I'm wondering if his grades were poor before he dropped the course...? Or perhaps it was something entirely different...

byoung57

Forum Probie
Many people assume that an EMT class is "just" another first aid type of class. It doen't usually take very long for them to realize that it is tough!

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Many people assume that an EMT class is "just" another first aid type of class. It doen't usually take very long for them to realize that it is tough!

Really?

I don't think so.

Anjel

Forum Angel

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
You don't think it is tough? Or that people see it as another first aid type of class?

To me it wasn't that tough... and all it really is is another first aid course, maybe with some more toys but not a whole lot more knowledge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anjel

Forum Angel
Yea I wouldn't say its hard. But I wouldn't say its easy either. Bio was more work for me then emt class was.

I was just wondering what ven meant.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
You don't think it is tough? Or that people see it as another first aid type of class?

I don't think it is tough.

I think people make more out of it than it is. It is basically a first aid class with a few toys.

Anjel

Forum Angel

I think people make more out of it than it is. It is basically a first aid class with a few toys.

Yea that's a reasonable comparison. It really wasn't that bad. That's why I was shocked only 12 passed in our class out of 30.

I start medic in a few months. Basic was fine. Medic I'm worried.

nakenyon

Forum Crew Member

Agreed. I didn't find EMT-B challenging at all. I barely needed to study to pass the course. I'm keeping my fingers crosses that the advanced EMT curriculum that PA is rolling out will be more difficult.

alphatrauma

Forum Captain

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Agreed. The class is a joke. If someone has a functional ability to reason, I could train them enough to pass the NREMT in a weekend. It's a poor measure of clinical knowledge and clinical ability, but the "yardstick" we use sets the bar pretty low.