Driver Training Anxiety

wxduff

Forum Crew Member
Well, a Driver Training Shift finally opened up, and I'm going to be starting tomorrow night...

I already started, I was one of only about 6 of the ~40 members here over a four day weekend this semester, and got my 3 shotgun shifts out of the way that weekend. Tomorrow night I learn how to drive the rig.

I'm a bit anxious. I drive a Volkswagen passat, but I learned to drive on an Expedition XLT and a F150, and I've driven my old man's 250 super duty plenty. I'm just nervous about the fact that I'm going to be driving a really expensive, relatively new rig. And that there is snow/rain mix in the forecast for my shift :rolleyes:.

Any suggestions when it comes to learning to drive the rig? I'm only on non-emergency until I learn. If we get a call the driver and I switch and he does the emergency call. I'm still nervous though, just looking for some wisdom.

Thanks

stephenrb81

Forum Lieutenant
When I first started, my supervisor took me out on the roads to let me get a *feel* for the ambulance. The most difficult thing for me was learning to back them up (I've always had the grocery-getter type compact cars). He took me to an old shut-down Wendy's parking lot, point to a parking spot at an odd angle from where I was at and wanted me to back it up without my wheels ever touching one of the yellow lines. After a whole afternoon, I could park the truck like a pro.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
close your eyes and pin it.

seriously, take your time. theres no hurry. practice makes perfect

tydek07

Forum Captain
Just relax and take it easy, but do not forget that stopping distance is gonna be longer and that you are a bit wider then vehicles you are use to. But, if you just relax and drive you should be fine.... just be glad you dont have the lights/siren going yet..... drivers not pulling over, drivers cutting across 3 lanes of traffic to pull to the "left"?!?!, and those wonderful drivers that just stop right in front of you. LOL, just kidding... relax and have fun.