Does the NREMT make you more employable?

socoemt

Forum Probie
In Colorado you must get NREMT certified before you can get state certs, but I was wondering if you live in a state that does not require NREMT and you get it anyways, does that make you more employable? Also wondering if you have NREMT is it easier to switch states?

stemi

Forum Crew Member
In California, the NREMT is necessary because getting a state license doesnt involve any standardized testing; only whether you passed your class and the NREMT. I'm not sure about other states, but I thought it was the same for most states.

That being said, Im sure its a good idea to keep NREMT up to date especially if you plan on moving to another state.

MexDefender

Forum Lieutenant
It is recognized by all the states with the exception of Idaho and another state if I'm not mistaken. You need the NREMT to be recognized by the state you are applying for.

Everyone has to pass the NREMT in my state before applying for state. The people who were grandfathered into the national standard do not have to take the NREMT but if they plan on working outside state they would have to take the test I think.

OP
OP
S

socoemt

Forum Probie
I didn't realize that many states required the NREMT. kind of makes this thread irrelevant... oops!

Epi-do

I see dead people
In IN, the state has their own written test for EMT, but not for medic. Therefore, you don't have to take NR to be certified as an EMT in Indiana, but you do have to take it to get your initial license as a medic. However, you do not have to maintain it to keep your medic when it is time to renew.

Wolves

Forum Probie
Massachusetts does not require or accept NREMT licensing. If you have it, the only thing it gets you out of is taking a class; you still have to take both practical and written tests. If you have a license from another state, the law says that you only have to take the written but in practise if they don't like your state they can make you take both.

I hate this state so much.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Massachusetts does not require or accept NREMT licensing. If you have it, the only thing it gets you out of is taking a class; you still have to take both practical and written tests. If you have a license from another state, the law says that you only have to take the written but in practise if they don't like your state they can make you take both.

I hate this state so much.

Yes, out of state reciprocity is done on a case by case basis in the love commonwealth. I will say they were nice to me, I took my course out of state and still only had to take the written.

Also the NREMT does not make one more marketable in MA as far as the like 11 companies I applied to we're concerned. After all, what does it really do for you if it doesn't effect licensure

DeepFreeze

Forum Lieutenant
Yes, out of state reciprocity is done on a case by case basis in the love commonwealth. I will say they were nice to me, I took my course out of state and still only had to take the written.

Also the NREMT does not make one more marketable in MA as far as the like 11 companies I applied to we're concerned. After all, what does it really do for you if it doesn't effect licensure

Two companies I heard enjoy the concept of having an NREMT on board so they can do calls in NH and Conn. But you are right, having the NREMT in MA is useless. Though all my paramedic friends love that NREMT patch over the MA patch.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
To answer the OP's question, I think it does make you more employable. If you are already licensed, I think it shows a company that you care enough about your profession to maintain a convenient, voluntary certification, while simultaneously making it clear that you are prepared to relocate to work for them. It also communicates that you take yourself at least somewhat seriously and that you won't work for peanuts.

For example, I showed up to my last interview with my certs in-hand. They saw my NR card and I knew that reciprocity would not be an issue. That doubtless smoothed some waters and justified hiring me more than if I'd simply have shown up with a valid state paramedic license.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Not in NJ, nor in NY.

The only thing it does is make it easier to transfer in from out of state, but no more employable than a state cert.