Does just a certification or degree do much?

DAMT89

Forum Ride Along
After completing the paramedic course in my area, my classmates and I are all amongst the national testing phases. The question has been brought up that if anyone doesn't pass some portion, whether it be the psychomotor or the written exam, could just the certification or AAS degree still come in handy for any kind of gainful employment?

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Without NREMT your options are severely limited.

When you graduate you're given a certification of completion, not the same as a paramedic or EMT license.

Some states do not require NREMT, but most do, and I'm assuming if you're planning on taking it then your state probably requires it.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
You can retake the exam. That's probably your best option if you fail it but still want to work in EMS.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
You've asked a two-part question here:

1) As for as employability, there is no realistic employability should you fail to gain certification as a paramedic. Passing's pretty much the only way forward.
2) The degree is a necessary and important thing that does open some doors IF you are willing to stay in school and press through to a nursing degree -OR- you use the credits to push for an undergraduate degree.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
The degree states you successfully completed 2 years worth of education, and passed with the minimum levels.
The certification means some authoritative body certifies that you know what minimum standard of knowledge, and most states allow you to practice.

It's like graduating from law school, but never passing the bar exam. yes, you can add JD after your name, but you aren't a lawyer.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Failing to pass the NREMT pyschomotor testing portion meant you could not pass my program, and hence not receive a degree. You could still receive two semesters worth of credit hours as testing an internship were grouped into a half semester course.