Does everyone on this site want to get into FDNY?

patzyboi

Forum Lieutenant
I mean, do most people here reside on the east coast or something? I always see FDNY posts with like 10 pages. I know its a big department, but is it THAT big?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
No.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I think when you have a hiring where thousands of people are applying, many of them go to the Internet for additional information. A Google search for EMT info would easily lead to this site, and it is a good place to get questions answered from people who are familiar with various systems. It looks to me like many of the new posters on the FDNY threads are just interested in that and came here exclusively for FDNY hiring information.

Achilles

Forum Moron
I think when you have a hiring where thousands of people are applying, many of them go to the Internet for additional information. A Google search for EMT info would easily lead to this site, and it is a good place to get questions answered from people who are familiar with various systems. It looks to me like many of the new posters on the FDNY threads are just interested in that and came here exclusively for FDNY hiring information.

<moderator edit>

FDNY is a pretty prestigious department and they're in the media a lot, but so is Detroit and they're not many threads asking how to get on their dept.

Last edited by a moderator:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
FDNY is a pretty prestigious department and they're in the media a lot, but so is Detroit and they're not many threads asking how to get on their dept.

yjudeqa5.jpg

Prestigious? The only thing prestigious about working in Detroit is being able to brag that you still have a job. Pretty sure Detroit lays off more people than it hires.

Achilles

Forum Moron
yjudeqa5.jpg

Prestigious? The only thing prestigious about working in Detroit is being able to brag that you still have a job. Pretty sure Detroit lays off more people than it hires.

I should have clarified, in the media a lot is what I was aiming towards.
However I give those guys tons of credit because they do a lot with little.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
Definitely not. Many, many people go through their application process every time, and they look for information where they can. From what I can tell, there are as many or more people asking for info about SoCal jobs.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Absolutely not.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
And it's the only forum that I belong to that you can get an infraction for having a different opinion than an Moderator. :rolleyes:

You get infractions cause you question the mods and argue with them. It's a pattern I've noticed.

The suppression side of FDNY is prestigious. Hence why the majority of peeps promote, and yes I said promote, to suppression rather than staying on the EMS side. Isn't the starting pay as a medic there like 38k a year or something along those lines?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
There are some members here who started as FDNY EMS employees and made the transition to suppression. After reading those posts I believe that's the primary reason people apply there. Certainly not because its a Mecca of EMS awesomsauce.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
At some point, I will apply to FDNY EMS.

ghost02

CA Flight Paramedic
No thanks. The only FD I would ever apply to is SFFD. It is the only big city I like. (NYC was to much for me!)

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I didn't work for FDNY EMS, but I worked in the NYC 911 system for one of the hospitals from 2003-2007. Basically, the hospital units do the same thing that the FDNY units do - just a different employer cutting their paycheck, and different equipment/uniforms.

I think the FDNY people make a little more now, but back when I worked in the system, this was the general thought:

You look to work for FDNY EMS if you mostly want job security and benefits, and you look to work for the hospitals if you want higher pay, a better schedule, and better working conditions.

The NYC 911 system burns out a lot of FDNY EMS employees. Sitting on street corners waiting for jobs, getting mandated for OT a lot, having to go to work every day because it's eight hour shifts, the Conditions Bosses (supervisor) giving you a hard time, it all wears you down over time. You'll never own a decent home in NY, or have many nice things on a FDNY EMS salary.

I was in the process for FDNY EMS as a medic, but then I lost interest and moved to Virginia for a firefighter/medic career. Five others from that hospital have done the same so far.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Realistically, the 911 EMS system in NYC is god awful with protocols and undereducated providers to match. As stated above, it easily burns people out in a hurry.

If you want to be a firefighter in NYC getting on EMS is well worth it.

For the record though, I believe FDNY EMS is in fact the largest EMS organization in the world. Roughly 4,000 employees and over 1,000,000 calls a year.

Isn't the starting pay as a medic there like 38k a year or something along those lines?

44,000 a year base pay.

Stoked

Forum Crew Member
No thanks. Not only am I on the wrong coast, but big cities make me nauseous. I'd rather vollie for a small, rural FD that also does EMS, and continue paid work at my other pursuits.

I don't know why they insist on 8 hour shifts. That's horrible.