Do you own a business and work/volunteer EMS?

TB 3541

Forum Lieutenant
I've been offered a great opportunity to become a franchise owner in a very viable business. My passion has and always will be EMS. My question to you is, have you or do you run a business and work or volunteer in EMS?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
working on doing that as we speak.

EMS can be a great job, but the money just isn't there.

owning your own business and working ems part time allows you to get the money of the business and the fun on being on the ambulance.

it can be done.

BigBad

Forum Crew Member
I own two businesses. A paramedical exam company for life insurance companies and a property management company. All with a full time rotating Kelly schedule. I work 9 days a week but I make my own schedule and skiing is always the priority. What franchise?

OP
OP
T

TB 3541

Forum Lieutenant
Well, I went ahead and bought it. It's a Screenmobile franchise. So far, it's going great. I work 9 days a week as well, but the idea is that soon I'll hire employees to work for me. It's been over a year now and I'm still trying to get either a volunteer or paid EMT position.

SceneNotSecure

Forum Ride Along
Small business owner

I started my own mobile mechanic buisness in January 2012, I have been doing well, my wife is native american, which most police, ambulance, fire and heavy equipment I repair or service on a reservation.
But last week I received a call from a local ambulance company to come down and fill out my hiring papers. I took the opportunity and started evoc. Honestly, after turning wrenches since I was 7 for my dads shop, I love fire and EMS! I am 33 now, all I am saying is work smarter, not harder! We will see as I try juggling the 3 jobs. I've been in fire as a vol. for 1.5 years, new emtb.
I don't burn out easy, as I learned in the air force, but I would totally ditch the wrenches instead of working on hot cars with hot tools direct sunlight etc..... Or, possibly HIRE mechanics in my place?????? Sadly in buisness....... my dad and I can't meet eye to eye. Expand if you can!

OP
OP
T

TB 3541

Forum Lieutenant
I started my own mobile mechanic buisness in January 2012, I have been doing well, my wife is native american, which most police, ambulance, fire and heavy equipment I repair or service on a reservation.
But last week I received a call from a local ambulance company to come down and fill out my hiring papers. I took the opportunity and started evoc. Honestly, after turning wrenches since I was 7 for my dads shop, I love fire and EMS! I am 33 now, all I am saying is work smarter, not harder! We will see as I try juggling the 3 jobs. I've been in fire as a vol. for 1.5 years, new emtb.
I don't burn out easy, as I learned in the air force, but I would totally ditch the wrenches instead of working on hot cars with hot tools direct sunlight etc..... Or, possibly HIRE mechanics in my place?????? Sadly in buisness....... my dad and I can't meet eye to eye. Expand if you can!

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's reassuring to know that it can be done, successfully!

leoemt

Forum Captain
I currently own a Private Investigation business. I am actually in the process of closing it down so I can concentrate on EMS.

I never wanted to do the PI stuff, had more fun being a cop and security officer. In addition to wanting to be an EMT, I have always had a dream of owning my own Security Company. I thought that starting as a PI would give me the money to expand. Sadly I was wrong.

I am very good at PI work and marketing, however what I did not expect were the clients. People have misconceptions about PI's from TV. As a result they call me up and ask me to do things that are illegal, unethical, or just plain absurd. I have sent a lot of potential clients walking because I didn't trust what they wanted me to do. I am not going to break the law or violate my ethics for a few bucks.

I enjoy being in a supervisory role, but I don't enjoy owning a business. The State of WA is not very friendly to business owners. I will concentrate on my EMS career maybe try for Medic school in a couple of years. While I will keep my pre-employment checks service going, I am not sad about closing my business.

The key to being successful is knowing your goals and follow them. Do what you can to maximize your dreams and goals. You may enjoy owning a business but if your career goals involve EMS then don't let your side business ruin that. Its not always about money. Good luck.

OP
OP
T

TB 3541

Forum Lieutenant
I own a business and have stil am into ems, ems doesnt payyyy

Welcome to the forum!

It seems like a lot more people in EMS own businesses than I would have ever guessed.

Also, you don't always have to type something in the "title" box... ;)